Dishwasher Drainage Pipe To Flexible Hose

Users who are viewing this thread

ThundrbltMN

Reaction score
Attached is a pic of my under the sink plumbing. I would like to replace my garbage disposer, and reroute the dishwasher draining to the new disposer. The dishwasher drains via that copper pipe you see on the right hand side.

I would like to attach a flexible hose to that and route it into my new disposer. Can I use a hose clamp for the copper pipe side, or would I need some sort of threaded end for the copper drain pipe?

Attachments

• P1010081.JPG
    P1010081.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 4,163

Jeff1

Reaction score
I don't know about the connections you'll need, but you will need an air gap and probably will need to fix the double p-trap under the sink. I'll let the pro's comment more. Don't forget to remove the plug when you connect the dishwasher hose to the garbage disposal

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I would replace what's necessary to have a single p-trap. Dishwasher hose (get rid of the copper) to an air gap and then to the disposal. Disposal to a tailpeice to the single trap.

Similar to this:
sink_dw.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You have quite a mess there. The dishwasher is in jeopardy of drain back of dirty water from the sink. That copper pipe may be to properly handle a dishwasher pump out. At a bare minumum, you should have a flexible hose from the DW, highlooped up against the underside of the countertop.

All disposers have a nipple to connect a DW hose to. Be sure to punch out the plug.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

What do you two have against the double traps? Why do you want to eliminate the present connection since it is just as effective as going into the disposer. You should have a section of hose between the copper and the drain connection, whether you use that one, or eliminate and use the disposer. It should rise up as high as possible behind the sink and then drain down to the connection.

ThundrbltMN

Reaction score
Drainage Pipe To Flexible Hose

How would I attach the flexible hose to the copper drain pipe? Are clamps sufficient? That was my real question for this thread.

Now another related question...Must I use an air gap?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
You can use a hose clamp on the copper to hose connection. The double trap in my opinion is the way to pipe it. If the disposal jams or clogs you still have the use of the sink.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The copper tubing is the same size as the drain connection so a proper sized hose will fit over both of them with hose clamps to secure them. You ALWAYS have the use of the second sink even if the disposer jams, regardless of how the drain piping is arranged.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
The copper tubing is the same size as the drain connection so a proper sized hose will fit over both of them with hose clamps to secure them. You ALWAYS have the use of the second sink even if the disposer jams, regardless of how the drain piping is arranged.

Not if the trap is plugged

John

Last edited:

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
My code won't allow two traps on a trap arm. One fixture - one trap.

High loop is allowed here.

ThundrbltMN

Reaction score

So where can I get a hose like this? Obviously, I am a rank beginner at this, but I see this task as very doable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks