How to Check a Boiler for Freezing Cracks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
There has been some freezing damage to some of the components of the boiler (outside of the boiler). I want to check the boiler itself and am not sure how to simulate the pressure it will be under during normal operation. I would like to hear what you guys think I could do here.

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could attach fittings to the outputs, and put a schrader valve in one of them, you could pressurize it with an air pump. 20-25# should be safe...just keep it below the (probably 40#) of the overpressure relief valve. Keep in mind temperature changes will change the air pressure, but it should hold overnight. You might hear air escaping if it's bad or never be able to build up pressure. If you could get some water in there before you pressurized it, the wetness may be easier to see. Some cracks may not open until things are heated up, which would be much harder to find just sitting there.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Are residential boilers and any work done on them, subject to inspection by a state boiler inspector?

My brother in MD is in a model steam train club, and they must have their engines inspected annually and after any major work.

Molo

Reaction score
Are residential boilers and any work done on them, subject to inspection by a state boiler inspector?

My brother in MD is in a model steam train club, and they must have their engines inspected annually and after any major work.

This is a good point. There are no inspections required in this area. One of the concerns with this boiler is that because there was freeze damage and water leakage on the outside (we haven't checked the inside yet) there has been waer damage to electrical components as well as water fittings. We're trying to decide if it's a replace or a repair.

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score

It depends upon several factors including the BTU/hr. input rating, the maximum pressure and/or temperature and the "occupancy rating" as determined by the building code along with (as always) the local code interpretations.

However generally, boilers in residences of less than 6 families are exempt from inspection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks