Toto Toilets w/ Gmax: are there 2 different flushes (regular & strong?)

Users who are viewing this thread

bnbhoha

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a drake toilet (from Terry since I'm local), and was wondering if the Drake or the Gmax series for that matter had two flushes you can choose from. I was at a buddy's house last night to check out his remodel (I really went over to check out the drake he had) and he said that if we press the flush lever it will do a regular flush and if you hold down the lever it will to a more powerful flush, but that would use more water.

I lifted the top off and noticed that with just pressing the lever and not holding, the tank went down halfway. If you held the lever, the water went down all the way. I've never seen it advertized or read that there were two different flushes you could choose from. I was hoping if anyone ever heard of this or is my buddy just holding down the lever for no reason. Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most 1.6 toilets are that way.

If you hold the lever down, you drop more water than 1.6 gallons.
They work fine with the 1.6 gallons, but at least you have an option for more.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On those, the flush valve relies on the height of the water to help improve the flush. The rubber valve is designed to close after the proper volume has passed. This is why is it important to ensure you put in a compatible flapper valve when the thing eventuall needs to be replaced - using the wrong one can continually increase the volume of water used.

ameoba

Reaction score
two flushes - one doesn't stop

When the toilet is flushed so that the tank half empties, many times (about 50%) it doesn't stop filling. It seems like the flapper doesn't quite go back in place correctly and it leaks around the edges, causing it to continuously fill. A full flush and quick giggle of the handle seems to solve the problem.

Does my flapper need to be replaced or is there an easier fix.

TIA - BTW I am in Minneapolis, MN. The toilet is a Drake, purchased about 4 years ago.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Your flapper may need replacing.

The flapper should always drop down and seal.

If the fill valve were to continue to over-fill even with a good flapper, it would be the assembly cap leaking. The Korky assembly cap sells for $1.99 in hardware stores.

ameoba

Reaction score
Just to be sure - the flapper valve is the red rubber thing (technical term). That's all I need to replace? Thanks for your help Terry.

FWIW - The toilet in question - we were having problems with the toilet that was there previously. When I started doing some internet research, I came across your site. I was disappointed that you were in WA, and not MN. But your site and your advice crystallized my decision to put in a Toto.

I have not been disappointed. We love it! In fact, it was recently joined by another Drake when we remodeled our basement. The price of the toilet, while a little more than some of the other brand names like Kohler, American Standard etc, is an investment. It has never been plugged, it cleans extremely easily and (the best part) is easy on the water use.

A raving Toto fan in MN

Blake

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just make sure that the chain is not too long and occassionally getting under the lip of the flapper valve...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks