Cold Air return on 2nd Level

Users who are viewing this thread

Wave007

Reaction score
I have a 2 story home which is approx. 70 years old. We have no cold air return on the 2nd level and are in the process of replacing the old furnace with a new one. My question is, is it a necessary to have a cold return on the 2nd level? If so what are the reasons. Also the cold air return on the main level is on the floor very close to the stairs going up.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Ideally, each room would have a return. In order to push air into a room, you need an outlet so it will flow. If you always leave the doors open, it isn't a problem. There's often enough room underneath a closed door, but that isn't always the case, especially if carpet is added, and there's now little to no clearance. This can lead to cold (or hot if a/c) rooms.

Reaction score
If there is not a return path in a room but it has an open register, then that room will tend to pressurize slightly. That will allow part of the air to escape underneath closed doors...or outside through any opening it can find (wall, window, attic.) As was already mentioned it will also reduce flow into the room (higher pressure to overcome) causing temperature differential with other sections of the home.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks