Water on the side of a hill

Users who are viewing this thread

matts118

Reaction score
Hi

We live on the side of a hill which is 540m high. We live at 280m with about 2km (as the crow flies) of catchment between us and the peak.

We just drilled a well down to 40m, and had a geophysical examination done. Basically there is a layer of dirt and rocks and clay down till 19 metres, then 6 metres of rocks with cracks in them, and then after that very hard compacted clay until 38 metres, then 2 metres of rocks with cracks again.

The geo said that we should get a decent amount of water from the 19-25metre level as the water cannot penetrate the clay layer and should flow there. So the well driller put the perforated pipe between 19m and 25m and ran normal pipes down to 40m (for storage).

But the water is only flowing at about 6L per day.

One idea was that all the clay from the drilling process has leached back and blocked the outer side of the pipe.

Our neighbour has a similar well and said she had no water in the first 3 weeks and then after 3 weeks it started flowing very strongly.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of well and what can be done to get the water flowing.

It was suggested to fill the well hole up with water and keep it full for a few days as this may clean it out.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Matt

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
Yes, filling the well with water, is one way of getting the clay and mud to break down, but still has to be brought out of the well using air, or another well development process.
Using the pump to develop a new well is a very bad idea.

Any well drilled in any clay will have to be cleaned by the driller,(or should have been done by the driller).

Travis

matts118

Reaction score
Yes, filling the well with water, is one way of getting the clay and mud to break down, but still has to be brought out of the well using air, or another well development process.
Using the pump to develop a new well is a very bad idea.

Any well drilled in any clay will have to be cleaned by the driller,(or should have been done by the driller).

Travis

So if I fill it with water, how long should I keep it full for? and then what do I do. I know how to use a compressor to pump the water out, is that good.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I assume that you paid him for the job? Have him come back out and take care of it. Drillers are licensed and liable.

matts118

Reaction score
Does your statement apply to the European country the poster lives in?

I would like to fix it myself if possible as he wasn't very happy to try anymore.

Does anyone know of a way I could vacuum it myself, maybe by jamming a pole down their with something on it to make it airtight and going up and down? Or any other way?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks