Wet vent question

Users who are viewing this thread

mattjd

Reaction score
I'm replacing a toilet in my 60 year-old house and noticed the toilet isn't vented. I figured I might as well improve things and planned to tie in downstream of the bathtub exactly as pictured in the lower level of this picture. The vent is 2".

The guy in the plumbing supply place was from the neighboring state but he says it's not allowed to wet vent a toilet with a tub in this way; only a sink. Comments? This isn't being inspected, but I do try to extensively read the codes and follow them. I've gotten enough conflicting advice that I just want things to work without a problem.

I suppose I have at least three options: 1) leave un-vented as is (I'd rather not do this if it's not legit, 2) wet vent with the tub if this is OK, 3) add another dry vent just for the toilet. This would be more work, but I'll do it if necessary. I do like the idea of another fixture flushing out the vent, but the sink isn't close enough to wet vent through that.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
My code is based on the 2009 IPC and has no such restrictions. NH appears to follow 2006 IPC. It may be worth finding someone local who would know for your specific location as there may be local ordinances which prohibit what you want to do.

mattjd

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try that. I want to meet code requirements, but also do things the best way possible, so if this doesn't set off any alarm bells in terms of setup, I'll just verify it's OK in my locale and go from there.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
what makes you think the toilet is not vented?

06 IPC will let you wet vent fixtures in any order

Toilet distance to vent is unlimited.

mattjd

Reaction score
Thanks nhmaster. Here is, in a nutshell, what my situation looks like:

drain.jpg

At the bottom of the picture, the pipe goes outside the house.

I'm not sure if someone re-routed the main 4" vent at some point or if it was always this way; not directly vertical.

The tub has it's own 2" vent before going into the Y, but the toilet goes straight in. My thinking was if I could move the tub to the section that's capped off, the toilet would have a legit vent through the main.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dwv

Unless there is an upstairs bathroom using that "vent" as drain, the toilet IS vented, but the tub, as you show it, is not vented, and it could have the bigger issue without a vent.

mattjd

Reaction score
Here's a more detailed sketch of how things are now.

drain2.jpg

This is a small ranch house, so nothing upstairs. With the exception of one additional drain coming from the kitchen, this is it. Maybe I'm worrying for nothing...thought my toilet needed a separate 2" or larger vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks