Washer hose leak, how often do you change hoses?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
flood_1.jpg

How often should washer hoses be replaced?
I would say, anytime it's moved could be a good idea.
Or in years, maybe six, I'm not really sure.
The picture above was taken of a carpeted basement.

flood_2.jpg

Wall to wall carpet under water

Okay, here's a better view of the carpet under all the water.

One split in the rubber washer hose, and the carpets had to be pulled, the home dried out, computer equipment replaced, moldings and painting.

All for one friggin hose.
At least it wasn't my house.

Last edited:

ghetterly

Reaction score
Before I bought a Miele washing machine, I always replaced my cheap hoses every 2 years.

New hoses would go on the washing machine and the year old ones would move to my plastic laundry tub. Old ones from the laundry tub go in the garbage.

The ones that came with my new washer are incredibly high quality and I suspect will never need to be replaced.

Reaction score
The original set I had with my old washer lasted about 16 years. I took a look at them each time I moved or did anything to the washer. They were okay, until the most recent move when they showed signs that they might fail. (Maybe they weren't the originals, but I believe they were. Most likley time for a change out was when the washer's solenoid valves failed once every 8 years.)

One of the braided stainless Watts hoses I used to replace them began leaking at the fitting less than a year later. Fortunately, that happened when installing new machines, so I put the new hose on. It looks like it is pretty high quality so we will see.

At least that is clean water on the floor...still doesn't make a person happy, but it's better than river water.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Kuhl! A new theme park! Wet Carpet World!

Beat the summer heat, bring your friends.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The rubber hoses which come with a machine are bottom of the line. ( I have seen some high end machines come with better hoses, but not always).

The cheap hoses have brass PLATED steel fittings, so invariably rust develops, and the rubber tends to split at the fitting. I have seen them last many years, but you are taking a risk. They are especially vulnerable if the pressure in your house is higher than nominal...about 60 PSI.

My favorite hose is the Fluidmaster braided SS

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Every 2 years on the black rubber ones

Every 5 years on the braided stainless steel ones

Fast closing solenoid valves slowly compromise the crimp connections, the point at which the majority fail.

If I enter a home that has high water pressure, it's one of the first statements I make about replacing them.

20/20 did a story on this years ago about how many millions it costs homeowners/insurance companies for these hoses when they rupture.

I cannot feel sorry for anyone with a blown black rubber hose though...you took your first chance and made your first mistake playing the odds goin' cheap.

Cookie

Reaction score
flood_1.jpg

How often should washer hoses be replaced?
I would say, anytime it's moved could be a good idea.
Or in years, maybe six, I'm not really sure.
The picture above was taken of a carpeted basement.

flood_2.jpg

Okay, here's a better view of the carpet under all the water.

One split in the rubber washer hose, and the carpets had to be pulled, the home dried out, computer equipment replaced, moldings and painting.

All for one friggin hose.
At least it wasn't my house.

cool... :) get out the rod and make it an adventure, throw in some goldfish and invite the neighbor kids over.

Agu

Reaction score
Saw those pics and replaced the washer hoses today. The old ones were here when we bought the house and knowing the previous owner they were probably the original hoses when the washer was replaced ten years ago.

Of course turning off/on the valves caused a valve leak so there was the inevitable secondary repair. :rolleyes:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Unfortunately that is a picture I have seen way too many times. Even worse when it's on the 2nd or 3rd floor of a condo or town house and no, the washer pan will not even come close to containing a split hose. Every couple of years for rubber and several companies make a valve that automatically closes when the washer is not in use. Cheap insurance.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I installed mine correctly so they should last a lifetime.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks