Venting a WC waste line horizontally II

Users who are viewing this thread

Jhall

Reaction score
Hi-

I see I've had 112 views on the following since I posted it on 8/30 but no replies.

Is it something I said??

JH

Hi-

I'm planning on installing a WC and vanity in an upstairs loft. I plan on running a new 3" drain down through a 1st floor laundry closet and using an existing 3" vent in the attic for venting the new WC and vanity. The only thing on the 3" vent in the attic is a WC on the 1st floor. I think I'm ok on the number of DFU's for the existing 3" vent. My total will be 13 (2 WCs; 1 vanity.) I'm squared away on the vent for the vanity.

I plan to attach the toilet flange to the finished flooring, and using ABS plastic, do a 90 degree turn out of the flange, go about 20" horizontally (with 1/4"/ft slope) beyond the finished wall into open attic space. From there the drain would do a 90 degree turn to the right and run horizontally through the sheet rock wall above the laundry closet about 3.5'. Then a 90 degree vertical turn down through the floor and tie into the existing main that runs out to the septic.

The 2 questions i have are:

1)-Can I vent off the 3" horizontal drain line in the attic area with wye while the drain is still running horizontal, or do I have to do the vent connection when the drain makes it's vertical drop. The vent part of the wye would be pointing up. It would make for a cleaner install to the vent connection in the attic area instead if inside the finished laundry area.

2)-Is it ok to do a 90 degree turn out of the flange? There are 8" wooden I Beams as joist so I don't have alot of room for a more gentle bend (I plan on using a long 90 el there.) The joist run parallel to the 3" drain where it attaches to the flange and where I will punch through one, it will be above a supporting wall below.

Thanks for your time. I live in California.
JH

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 2 questions i have are:

1)-Can I vent off the 3" horizontal drain line in the attic area with wye while the drain is still running horizontal, or do I have to do the vent connection when the drain makes it's vertical drop. The vent part of the wye would be pointing up. It would make for a cleaner install to the vent connection in the attic area instead if inside the finished laundry area.

Yes, a wye fitting is the right one for horizontal venting.
If you were venting on the vertical, are as it turned vertical, then it would be a santee fitting.

2)-Is it ok to do a 90 degree turn out of the flange? There are 8" wooden I Beams as joist so I don't have alot of room for a more gentle bend (I plan on using a long 90 el there.) The joist run parallel to the 3" drain where it attaches to the flange and where I will punch through one, it will be above a supporting wall below.

A medium 90 is fine below the flange.
It's doubtfull that you have have room for more then that, unless you drop below the floor joist.
You may want to check with the framing inspector on how large a hole through the joist.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

As for the toilet elbow. Get a 4x3, (the 4" side will be a spigot, not a hub), closet bend and you will have plenty of room for it. You can stick the 4" spigot up through the floor and cut off the excess when you get ready to slide the 4" flange over it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks