(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Boy dies in Septic tank

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    OK. I suppose I am just a septic sceptic.

If people want to keep poop in their back yard, then it's up to them.
    It all has to go somewhere for further processing, and septic tanks have their place.

One of my brothers has a house in the Florida Keys, a 120-mile-long string of islands going from Florida City (south of Miami) out into the Gulf of Mexico. He has a septic tank and drain field in his private yard, but he does get fresh water from the Florida Keys Aquaduct Authority. Some folks there use RO systems to get drinking water from the ocean and/or from rain water in cisterns. In Key West, however, at least the last I knew, poop coming into the municipal system was being pumped about two miles out where the Gulf Stream can carry it away. Hopefully some new system has since been implemented for folks who do not have room on their properties for septic tanks!

That would have had to have been a old tank. Most tanks are shape like coffin and the assessable opening is not large enough for a 4 year old.

I am pretty sure it would had been because this area is an old area and rural, not impoverished just old.

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    OK. I suppose I am just a septic sceptic.
    If people want to keep poop in their back yard, then it's up to them.
    I'd rather see it buried in the back yard then pumped out into the Ocean
    Heavy rains untreated overflow goes into the ocean & beach areas here
    Swimming in raw sewage...oh yay

Until recently it was much worse
    But they built a 9 mile pipe & pump most of it out to sea further now

Yeah - the older cement covers there is no way a 4 year old could move it

But was it a heavy concrete cover? Maybe not ?

GREEN, Pa. -- The attorney for the father of a 4-year old boy found dead in a septic tank told Channel 4 Action News a judge has ordered the boy's two siblings to be removed from the family's home.

The attorney said the judge made the ruling on Tuesday, even though the two children, ages 3 and 6, were taken into state custody on Saturday.

A neighbor told Channel 4 Action News' Ashlie Hardaway the tank was being serviced prior to Wyatt's disappearance.

Channel 4 was there on Saturday when crews brought state police a thin metal sheet that neighbors said was the lid for that septic tank.
    Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 09-11-2009 at 07:52 PM.
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

Quote Originally Posted by delta d View Post
    That would have had to have been a old tank. Most tanks are shape like coffin and the assessable opening is not large enough for a 4 year old.
    Your thinking of a D box...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the septic process as an effective means of sewage treatment; however like ANY "system" it needs to be properly designed, installed, and maintained; if done properly it will work as designed for decades; conversely, a poorly designed, installed, or maintained system can be damaging to the environment. The septic process may be old, but it is definitely not "archaic" and Centralized Sewage Treatment is not without its disadvantages (to the environment and those who live close to a Treatment Plant).
    You have obviously never lived near a Sewage Treatment Plant; I would rather "keep poop in [my] back yard" than have to live my days smelling yours and everyone else's!

If you have ever been involved in the installation, maintenance, or repair of a septic system you know that there is a good deal of state and local regulation involved in setting up a new system or repairing/updating an existing one, at least that has been my experience as a homeowner.

I grew up with municipal water and sewer, however my family always had a cottage somewhere which utilized a well and septic. My dad taught me how to manage a well and septic system as a kid; I think it has given me a greater appreciation of my impact on the environment and conservation in general, for which I am thankful.

My first house had a septic system and municipal water. I already knew how to manage the system when I moved in, but I realized that I didn't really know how the system worked, so I took the time to learn, and I appreciate it even more now.

I have a well and septic at my current home, and I take good care of them both.
    As a matter of fact my well water consistently tests cleaner than local municipal water AND bottled Spring Water!

-- Ian, most of your comments seem to be devoid of reason, however I believe you make a point about the new housing developments and their use of septic; I feel as though there should be more effort put into system design and capacity planning in the new communities popping up all over the place, the EPA agrees, they are taking steps to help raise awareness and ensure that both new and existing septic systems are handled properly.

Here is some good info on septic systems according to the EPA, have a look at their "Voluntary National Guidelines for Management of Onsite and Clustered (Decentralized) Wastewater Treatment Systems"
    http://cfpub.epa.gov/owm/septic/sept...age_id=261#364

Pour yourself a nice tall glass of tap water, sit back in your favorite chair and have a look at this.
    http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4914475...ment-work.html

Centralized Sewage Treatment - This is just one example....google around a bit... there are plenty more where this came from.
    http://www.science.mcmaster.ca/Biolo...SEWAGE/CSO.HTM

On another note...
    If you feel as though you would like to contribute to the democratic process in the U.S., you should take the necessary steps to do so.

The U.S. is no different than many countries in this respect, you pretty much need to be a naturalized citizen in order to vote, either locally or nationally. I know this to be fact for the U.K.; I know several people personally who have gone through this process (some to the U.S. and some to the U.K.) and all of them found it to be frustrating at times, but rewarding overall.

http://www.workpermit.com/us/citizenship.htm
    http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/N-400.pdf

As far as the original context of this thread goes (the boy who died in the septic tank), I surely hope that the little guy was not murdered, that hurts my soul to think about, but I can't speculate. It's sad either way, I feel for his family; I have three little boys and I just can't imagine the loss. My prayers will be with them.

Anyway.....
    Have a good night all!
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by delta d View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    Your thinking of a D box...
    Not necessarily. Last year I put a small septic system toward the back of my property for my Dad's RV; The smallest concrete tank I could buy was 250Gal. It is rectangular maybe 3x4x3 and it has a 12x12 square opening in the top. All of my boys could easily fit through the opening and my oldest is 10.

A typical tank for a three bedroom home is 1000gal, and all of the concrete tanks we looked at (1000gal and up) had a 2' round opening in the top. They are rectangular as well; like a casket; coffin is an "archaic" term (my family owned and operated funeral homes for over 100 years)

The tank that services my house is concrete and has the same 2' opening.

So I suppose it depends on the manufacturer, and type of tank, there are many out there.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by 46&2 View Post
    A typical tank for a three bedroom home is 1000gal, and all of the concrete tanks we looked at (1000gal and up) had a 2' round opening in the top. They are rectangular as well ...
    Yes. I work for a tank manufacturer, and I could easily fit through the opening of every size we make.

Along with the weight of the lid as a safety factor, there are other "child guards" available. One I know about is a plastic grate that can be bolted down, and the other is made with nylon line and looks like a bit like a spider's web.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    I wonder how many people would think your post was insulting and against the forum rules of personal attacks?
    In my own opinion, that post was very mild is a setting where human opinions often run to absurd extremes.

Also, mild in regards to his usual posts of insults and personal attacks, too.

Quote Originally Posted by leejosepho View Post
    In my own opinion, that post was very mild is a setting where human opinions often run to absurd extremes.

You got that right, too, a very true observation and statement.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking I dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    I wonder how many people would think your post was insulting and against the forum rules of personal attacks?

I really dont know if this is offensive or not... but I get the feeling that only certain
    points of view are allowed to be voiced here..

.Cookie..
    personally I think your thread started out fine, on the
    tragedy that happenned

but when it imploded into baning all septic tanks in the
    country.........
    I am sorry , that is when I had to chime in....

then it went to illegal aliens rights , and the right to
    basicaly reproduce till they take over the whole place
    (that was not me that stated that)

wow..... that seems a little silly to me.......

Cookie...If it makes you feel any better.........

I am sorry that I voiced my opinion on this,

and I sincerely hope from the very bottom of my heart

that some day our country is 100% septic tank free....

now I got to go put in a water heater.....

have a great weekend

maybe ....perhaps the whole thread should be erased.....

Quote Originally Posted by master plumber mark View Post
    I really dont know if this is offensive or not... but I get the feeling that only certain
    points of view are allowed to be voiced here..

.Cookie..
    personally I think your thread started out fine, on the
    tragedy that happenned

but when it imploded into baning all septic tanks in the
    country.........
    I am sorry , that is when I had to chime in....

then it went to illegal aliens rights , and the right to
    basicaly reproduce till they take over the whole place
    (that was not me that stated that)

wow..... that seems a little silly to me.......

Cookie...If it makes you feel any better.........

I am sorry that I voiced my opinion on this,

and I sincerely hope from the very bottom of my heart

that some day our country is 100% septic tank free....

now I got to go put in a water heater.....

have a great weekend
    Markie,

I should had banned you when I had the chance. You are insulting and do personal attacks against forum rules. I don't know why you get away with it.

I posted only the obvious in regards to your post about Ian.

If you don't like it, then stop being a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by master plumber mark View Post
    I get the feeling that only certain points of view are allowed to be voiced here..
    Possibly, so just focus on trying to give helpful information to others wherever possible. Straightening out the world is somebody else's job, and not even Cookie tries to do that!

Quote Originally Posted by leejosepho View Post
    Possibly, so just focus on trying to give helpful information to others wherever possible. Straightening out the world is somebody else's job, and not even Cookie tries to do that!
    Rules are rules. It is even ashame a forum needs rules, adults should know not to step over the line in posting your opinion where it then becomes personal attacks. There is no need for it. I do not find injuring another person, insulting another person either humorous or entertaining.

This is Terry's forum and he is the one who should voice this, it is his rules.

So, take it back on track, talk about the death of a child in a septic, or how much the USA needs septics, or the reason why we couldn't do away with them ; but their is no reason to talk about Ian's future children, or attacking anything personal. Mark, insulting someone, or attacking someone is not voicing your opinion on the subject.

That is not only my opinion, but it is adhering to the rules.
    Last edited by Cookie; 09-12-2009 at 07:21 AM.