(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Boy dies in Septic tank

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

I actually want to put in a well
    We have Town water, but why pump drinking water to a toilet or to wash the car, water the garden ?
    Plus you pay to get the water
    Then you pay again based on how much water you use for Town sewer
    Regardless of wether or not that water actually goes down the sewer pipe
    Bigger Govt, not with my Tax $$ Thanks
    Those idiots waste enough as it is
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
    I actually want to put in a well
    We have Town water, but why pump drinking water to a toilet or to wash the car, water the garden ?
    Plus you pay to get the water
    Then you pay again based on how much water you use for Town sewer
    Regardless of wether or not that water actually goes down the sewer pipe
    Bigger Govt, not with my Tax $$ Thanks
    Those idiots waste enough as it is
    I've got a city provided wide "grey" water system at my house that costs me $9 a month whether I use 0 gallons or 3000 gallons (non-metered). I'm tempted to bring it into the house for my toilets.

3 possible issues:
    1. Will local ordinances allow it?
    2. Will the grey water "dirty up" the toilet? (black rings and such)
    3. The system isn't as filtered obviously as the domestic system and some areas of the city have had issues with tiny snails clogging up sprinkler systems.

Of course my wife doesn't want me to do it and if I did I'd leave the existing plumbing in place to make an easy change over if needed.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

I guess we can tell who you voted for last November.
    I am not allowed to vote as a non-US citizen. It's quite funny actually because my Town claims not to discriminate on the basis of color, religion, ****** orientation, disability etc. etc. but in the small print says you must be a US citizen to stand for mayor.

So a gay, American of Asian decent, with one arm who was both blind and Jewish can be mayor where I live, but I as a European passport holder I absolutely cannot. I am not even allowed to vote in Town elections for councilors.

Once again, while this is the Land of the Free, it's not quite as Free as you think it is.

Which makes me laugh when I see people worried on TV that health reform will mean giving taxpayer-paid health to illegals! Yeah right. I can't even vote in a Town election and I am here legally!

All immigrants do in America is pay your taxes. Like you did for us when this place was the United Colonies. So, we're even.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 09-10-2009 at 02:43 PM.

DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    I just think we need more permits and inspections and bigger Government too to deal with this.

Existing properties could be grandfathered but all new builds should be mandated to be on public sewer and water.

Obey the code, and don't put poop in your garden.

Woods are for bears....not houses!

And the last place I saw a well before coming to America was Africa.
    And how many wild bears are there exactly on the British Isles?

While I'm supportive of proper installations and permitting and think U.S. "conservatives" (what an oxymoron) have their heads completely up their collective rears when it comes to sustainability, your suggestions about sewers and wells are at best sadly misnformed.

You might be from an overpopulated island, but many of us are not. Being self-sustaining does not require being hooked up to city mains for water or sewer. Rural Electric Cooperatives were a great thing (thanks, FDR), but running water and sewer mains even a few miles out of town where I grew up is completely infeasible based on population density (about one dwelling for every 80-160 acres when I was a boy) and the elevation changes. Septic and wells work just fine, thanks. The cattle seemed to do just fine grazing over the covered field lines, and the milk, cream, butter and beef from them was mighty fine. My water was clean and safe and the fish (bass, crappie, catfish, bluegill, red ear sunfish, crayfish, etc.), deer, turkey, rabbits, quail, mountain lions, bobcats, coyotes, skunks, box turtles, various lizards, owls, herons, bull frogs, toads, alligator snapping turtles, raccoons, various snakes, squirrels, foxes, etc. living on our land seemed to be making out well. (We did eradicate the muskrats though as they were wrecking the dams of our ponds.) Bears were very rare and I never saw one there although my grandfather swore he came across one while I was very young. I've seen all the rest there...even though it was another two decades before the conservation office acknowledged the mountain lions were back. There is nothing quite like the sound of them at night either...the cattle go nuts.

What amazes me in town is the number of morons wasting several times more per year on watering their lawn alone than I use for a whole year for a family of four. Of course they only pay for the potable water used, because it isn't in their sewer charge (based on the average of three winter months.) Nevermind that because of over irrigation, lawns of residences may soon be considered zero permeability with respect to run off/retention/drainage.

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Read here, it is said it is a piece of tin, which would explain why this woman said, there was a brick on top of it. Is this normal for a lid? I wouldn't think so, but this is a rural county, if it makes a difference.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...14/detail.html
    Here where I live, a lid is required to be too heavy for a child to lift and parents are presumed to know where their children are playing. Personally, I have shown my grandchildren what is inside our tanks and I have taken plenty of time to answer their questions and explain the dangers even of getting on a nearby swing.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking get obama to make this law .RIGHT NOW......

Refuse permits to build new houses that are not on a public sewer then, and ban wells while we are at it.

It's time for subsidies.

We shouldn't be dumping poo in this part of the back yard and drinking water from the other part of the back yard in this day and age.

I want my water charges to subsidize the development of water and sewer infrastructure in remote parts of the country.

Sorry to hear about the child that died..

But surely you are jokeing in your statement...???

perhaps we could get he government to deal with
    this septic tank problem throughout the country....

put it right up there with health care....for Obama to tackle
    just give him your vote and he will look into that septic
    tank situation fo r you...

perhaps it could be added to the health care package

It could cost trillioins of dollars, it might be unfeasabel to do, but its better than having poop in the back yard ...right??

why not just simply make it code to put a lock on the top of the every sistern and septic tank
    so it cant be taken off by accident???

(no thats too easy )

I was not joking Mark. I was trying to think up solutions. Surely it's time to update this archaic system.

I was not suggesting all septics and wells be banned, just that new-builds are more heavilly scrutinized.

You will always need septics and wells in very remote areas, particularly on steep hills, where the cost of running public utilities is prohibitive.

But the guy who wants to build a house anywhere should be encouraged to locate that on public sewer. I do not want his poop in the woods just because he wanted a log cabin to take his wife and kids there on summer hols, draining the local water table.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 09-11-2009 at 06:15 AM.

Ian...in life you don't spend billions of $$$ to save 1 life when there are safe guards in place that already protect people...Septic tank lids are so heavy that most need to be pried off with a 4' pry bar and weigh, I am going to guess, between 50 and 100#...and most are covered with dirt and grass....if that is not enough to keep a kid out you don't spend billions to fix a preceived problem...you find out how the 4 year old got in...

There is more to this story than you have read...your knee jerk reaction is wrong...

I am not allowed to vote as a non-US citizen. It's quite funny actually because my Town claims not to discriminate on the basis of color, religion, ****** orientation, disability etc. etc. but in the small print says you must be a US citizen to stand for mayor.

So a gay, American of Asian decent, with one arm who was both blind and Jewish can be mayor where I live, but I as a European passport holder I absolutely cannot. I am not even allowed to vote in Town elections for councilors.

Once again, while this is the Land of the Free, it's not quite as Free as you think it is.

Which makes me laugh when I see people worried on TV that health reform will mean giving taxpayer-paid health to illegals! Yeah right. I can't even vote in a Town election and I am here legally!

All immigrants do in America is pay your taxes. Like you did for us when this place was the United Colonies. So, we're even.
    The reason foreigners can't is so the government can't be over thrown by foreigners...but I guess that is to hard for you to figure out and that is why your not allowed to vote...

All immigrants do in America is pay your taxes.
    Thats what non-americans in this country should do...and why in the world shouldn't they...

The reason foreigners can't is so the government can't be over thrown by foreigners...but I guess that is to hard for you to figure out and that is why your not allowed to vote...
    I'd best start having lots of babies here then. We'll get there in the end!

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    Ian...in life you don't spend billions of $$$ to save 1 life when there are safe guards in place that already protect people...Septic tank lids are so heavy that most need to be pried off with a 4' pry bar and weigh, I am going to guess, between 50 and 100#...and most are covered with dirt and grass....if that is not enough to keep a kid out you don't spend billions to fix a preceived problem...you find out how the 4 year old got in...
    My last septic had fiberglass screw in lids
    Much lighter, I'm not sure how hard they were to screw/unscrew as I never had to touch them
    I do agree that the problem is not the septic
    Much the same as leaving a fridge out with the door on
    Or the child that crawled into the trunk of a car & died
    You can't prevent every tragedy from happening

And this is being investigated as a homicide
    Which means someone killed him & PUT him in the septic tank
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

OK. I suppose I am just a septic sceptic.

If people want to keep poop in their back yard, then it's up to them.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking IAN >>>>HAVE SOME BABIES like the illegal aliens do

I'd best start having lots of babies here then. We'll get there in the end!
    maybe you cant become a citizen,
    but all you got to do is reproduce and if it falls out on its head on US soil
    9 months from now.....

he or she gets Social Security,
    and every other benefit it can squeeze from the soon bankrupt system
    and when you get older you can sponge off your kids...

the mexicans got that figured out already...

Ian
    they calim that if all the illegal aliens reproduce,
    eventually they will have a large enough voteing block to vote themselves all the benefits they feel they deserve... of course that will bankrupt the democracy.....

but you will have your benefits ....for a while....

and justly so

My grandparents reproduced and had my mom here, has everyone gone crazy here? People are entitled to their opinions here, without such a reprimand.
    Plus, the lid on the top of this tank was made from pretty much foil, OR something light in nature; and that is why the brick was on top of it. If anyone knows anything about kids, and kids playing hide and go seek, they love to hide anywhere and everywhere, hiding underground would be especially enticing.

In my opinion, this was an accident.
    Last edited by Cookie; 09-11-2009 at 02:48 PM.