Low water pressure from tub water pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

pmandra

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have low water pressure form both hot and cold taps from my tub. I removed the tub spout, yet the water is still running out slowly from the pipe in the wall.

The shower also makes a noise as the water flows from the tub, so I am guessing this has something to do with the diverter. FYI - the pressure seemed fine until we had some recent work done in our home that required the turning off/turing on off the water supply.

Any advice you may offer as to what the issue is and how I can fix it would be appreciated.

My question is - do I need to remove/replace this pipe coming out from the wall?

Attachments

• IMG_3653.jpg
    IMG_3653.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Replacing the pipe coming out of the wall is a useless idea.

When the pipes clog, they clog in the smallest point. That would be the ejector inside the tub valve. The valves have a special part in the center, between the knobs, that is a sort of venturi to keep the water from coming out the shower while using the tub. Yours looks as though it might be a Moen and they use a plastic, screw-in ejector.

Of course, it's not accessible without removing the shower riser.

That means you have to get clever about clearing the debris from the ejector, assuming that it is debris. Sometimes, people turn the water off, then when they turn it back on they open it a little to make sure something isn't leaking, but forget to go back and open the valve all the way.

Assuming it is debris, there needs to be a way that you can blow air in reverse to clear the lines - shut off the water, pull the cartridges from the tub, cap off the spout pipe, hook a compressor to the shower head. Keep eyes away from the valve while pumping air. Don't give in to the temptation to look in there while the air is coming out. Just sayin'.

Part number 17 is the ejector, and there are narrow passages all around it. That's a pic of a Delta but Moen is very similar.

delta2650.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks