GFCI in bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

philp

Reaction score
My bathroom has a hallway switch which turns on the light (above vanity) and also turns "on" a grounded outlet.

I'd like to change this to a GFCI outlet which is always "on" with the switch for the lights still working.

Can anyone tell me the best way to do this with minimal re-wiring?

I thought about removing the hallway switch, changing the outlet to GFCI and then adding a switch downstream of this inside the bathroom for the lights. Would this work? I think for code safety I have to put a blank plate where the old switch was which isn't ideal but I could live with it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
rewiring

Until you know how the existing wiring is installed, you will not know whether your changes amount to a minor rewiring, or a semi major one. If the two devices are close to each other it might just require one more wire between them, although a switch in the hall turning on a bathroom light is definitely an ODD arrangement.

philp

Reaction score
Until you know how the existing wiring is installed, you will not know whether your changes amount to a minor rewiring, or a semi major one.

The switch has two wires: one from the supply and one to the bathroom outlet. The outlet has two wires: one from the switch and one to the lights. The lights have one wire from the outlet.

Is this sufficient?

If the two devices are close to each other it might just require one more wire between them, although a switch in the hall turning on a bathroom light is definitely an ODD arrangement.

I don't think it is odd - just old fashioned.;)

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
For conventional wiring it will require another run from the switch to the outlet.

Another option would be utilizing an Insteon product available from Smarthome, but it may not be cost effective.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
switch

It is odd because it means that someone walking down the hallway could see the switch is turned on and turn it off, regardless of whether the bathroom is occupied or not. In some cases it could create a hazardous situation if someone is suddenly plunged into darkness and becomes disoriented.

philp

Reaction score
It is odd because it means that someone walking down the hallway could see the switch is turned on and turn it off, regardless of whether the bathroom is occupied or not. In some cases it could create a hazardous situation if someone is suddenly plunged into darkness and becomes disoriented.

Yes - so how can I solve this?

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The switch has two wires: one from the supply and one to the bathroom outlet. The outlet has two wires: one from the switch and one to the lights. The lights have one wire from the outlet.

I assume you mean cables rather than wires.

Is the bathroom receptacle in a good place to relocate the switch?

This may be simple.

philp

Reaction score
I assume you mean cables rather than wires.

Is the bathroom receptacle in a good place to relocate the switch?

This may be simple.

Yes - cables, with each cable being 14/2 with ground.

Yes the switch could go where the receptacle is now and the new GFCI outlet below it at counter height. Does this make it simple? Should the switch be affected by the GFCI i.e. if it trips should the switch loose power or if someone turns on the switch with wet hands will the GFCI kick in and provide protection?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gfci

The answer to those questions lies in how you rewire the GFCI and switch. If the GFCI trips and turns off the light, you have the same situation as the switch being in the hall, namely that the occupant may suddenly find him/her self in the dark.

philp

Reaction score
The answer to those questions lies in how you rewire the GFCI and switch. If the GFCI trips and turns off the light, you have the same situation as the switch being in the hall, namely that the occupant may suddenly find him/her self in the dark.

Good point, thanks - so what's the "right" way to rewire?

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Good point, thanks - so what's the "right" way to rewire?

Trick question :)

Run a new 12/2 cable from the panel to a new GFI receptacle.

Code requires a dedicated 20 amp circuit for bathroom receps so Petey told you the right way.

I will give you another version of the right way using the existing 15 amp circuit but don't blame me when the hair dyer/curling iron combination trips the breaker.

In the existing switch box, tie all blacks to blacks, whites to whites and grounds to grounds. Install a blank cover plate on the jbox.

You have now have two cables in your recep box.

1. 120V power.

2. Switch leg to the fixture.

You can change the recep box to a 2 gang or you can add a box for the recep next to/below it if there is room in the wall cavity. When you decide which way to go, I will give you step by step...but I'm out of communication from thur thru Monday.

The basic wiring is:

Black and white = hot and neutral.

The GFCI recep requires a hot and neutral

The light switch only controls the hot side. It makes or breaks the connection on the blach wire going to the light. The neutral wire from the light ties to the incoming neutral.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Is this a 1/2 bath = toilet & sink?

If it's a full bath I'd definitely do what Speedy said & run a dedicated 20a circuit to a GFCI outlet
Heck - Me - I'd even do it for a 1/2 bath
Wife loves that high powered hair dryer

philp

Reaction score
When you decide which way to go, I will give you step by step...

Can I do both? i.e. as a temporary measure blank off the existing switch, replace the outlet with GFCI and add new switch inside bathroom. (I'm not sure how to wire this to be safest?)

I need to add a receptacle to another bathroom (both are full bathrooms) so when I do this I will run a new 12/2 cable. Is it ok to run both bathrooms off the same 12/2 circuit? Can I just use one GFCI (at the first outlet)? Should lighting and outlets be on separate circuits i.e. keep the 14/2 cable for lighting?

The bathroom outlet is used for hair drying but so is an outlet in the bedroom by the dressing table - should this be on 12/2 20A fuse as well?

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
when I do this I will run a new 12/2 cable. Is it ok to run both bathrooms off the same 12/2 circuit? Can I just use one GFCI (at the first outlet)? Should lighting and outlets be on separate circuits i.e. keep the 14/2 cable for lighting?

Yes, yes and yes

Can I do both?

I meant, when you decide if you want to change the recep box to a 2 gang or you can add a box for the recep or switch next to/below it

I am on my way out so I'll give you the easy way.

Change the box to a 2 gang.

Remove old box.This may be really easy or it may require some effort. If for some reason you have a 4" square box and a single gang mud ring, you can simply change the ring (screws in opposite corners)

Install new 2 gang (plastic) in it's place securing it to the stud with drywall screws.

Incoming cable:

Install two pigtails on the black. One for the switch and one for the recep.

Switch leg cable: Hook white to incoming white and leave a pigtail for the recep. Black goes to switch .

Grounds tie together with pigtails for switch and recep.

philp

Reaction score
Excellent - thanks 220/221 - very clear and I'm good to go!:)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks