Replace Old Water Heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

Earnie

Reaction score
I moved into a house that has a seventeen year old electric forty gallon American Water Heater. It still appears to provide plenty of hot water for two people. Should I replace it now or wait until it fails?

I have no idea if the anode was ever replaced, but since it is part of the hot water pipe, I have no desire to attempt an anode replacement.

If I replace the unit, anyone have a recommendation on a good manufacturer?

Earnie

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If it starts leaking is it in a part of the house where it will cause any damage?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

Manufacturer is almost irrelevent. Your anode rod is probably NOT part of the hot water outlet, but by now is also irrelevent. Change the heater when it starts leaking, unless you think it is out to get you.

Earnie

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The water heater is not leaking. It is placed in a closet in the bottom floor bathroom. It sits in a round metal pan. The pan has an overflow tube through the floor into the crawl space. Only issue I need to correct is the overflow tube is not connected to a drain or to a pipe that goes outside. That should be a simple fix.

So are you saying that all electric water heater manufacturers offer quality products?

Earnie

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
Seventeen years is not all that old for an electric water heater, my last electric went for eighteen years before it developed a pinhole leak. The leak was small enough that I was able to postpone replacement for at least a week.

I also know of an electric water heater that has been going strong for more than 36 years. I first came upon this heater in 1973 and it wasn't new then, I have no idea just how old it may be.

My current water heater is a Sears gas model and it passed the ten year mark last February. I know that it is on borrowed time but it may go for another year, or maybe several more years. When it goes I'll either have Terry replace it or I'll go to the HD which is only ten minutes away.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Because it is in a pan there is no reason to change it until it leaks...If you wish to part with your $$$ before you need to then by all means install a new one...

Earnie

Reaction score
Good point Cass. I'm also wondering how much electricity I'm wasting since the tank's R value is probably low and the heating elements are not what they were when new. I do have a jacket on the tank's exterior.

Earnie

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The water heater is not leaking. It is placed in a closet in the bottom floor bathroom. It sits in a round metal pan. The pan has an overflow tube through the floor into the crawl space. Only issue I need to correct is the overflow tube is not connected to a drain or to a pipe that goes outside. That should be a simple fix.

So are you saying that all electric water heater manufacturers offer quality products?

Earnie

Pan's won't hold the water from a ruptured tank.

Because it is in a pan there is no reason to change it until it leaks...If you wish to part with your $$$ before you need to then by all means install a new one...

See above.

If it were in a garage or unfinished basement then I wouldn't worry about it until you had to, but if it's within living areas there is a possiblity to come home to quite a mess. Think 3/4" supply line just dumping into that closet.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Pan's won't hold the water from a ruptured tank..

Catiastrophic failures are extremely extremely rare...and happen at any time in a water heaters life...old heaters have no more than new ones...

The water heater pan will handel 99.99% of the leaks...thats why they are required in areas where a leak can cause damage..

I say leave it until it leaks...but it is your choice...

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Catiastrophic failures are extremely extremely rare...and happen at any time in a water heaters life...old heaters have no more than new ones...
I'm not a plumber but know of 3. One was a heater in the attic, talk about a real mess. Water pouring down to the first floor, around light fixtures and a/c diffusers.

My opinion was given because obviously the OP was somewhat concerned. Maybe catastrophic failures are rare given the number of heaters installed but it sure sucks if it happens to you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FloridaOrange;220452 I'm not a plumber but know of 3. One was a heater in the attic said:
A tank in the attic should never be installed without good water containment - ideally, a two stage affair. Second, my best guess is that the tank was leaking for a long time before it finally let go, possibly overwhelming the containment it may have had. With anything, you need to monitor it occasionally, either electronically if out of sight, or by walking by it once in awhile.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
According to my gas heater lifetimes, if it were a gas heater you'd have a 50-50 chance of reaching 20 yrs.

Scaling up for an elec. heater I'd say you have till 21 years.

BTW, I have hardly any elec. water heater lifespan data, so if any knows of how long their elec. heater lasted I'd like to know. This info is useful in making repair/replace decisions.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heaters

In this area an electric water heater will last about half as long as a gas one, usually about 8 years. Adding a water softener increases it considerably.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks