Waterproof a Laundry Room?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would like to know how to waterproof a Laundry Room floor that I am going to tile. I am using 1/2 " treated plywood over the existing plywood and then using Durock 1/4" or 1/2" which ever you think is better. I need to know where to put the waterproofing and what to use. I have not located a pan that will fit. The laundry room is on the second floor and I have installed a center drain rough in. It measures 8'9" x 4"6".
Thank You,
Stephen Ayers

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
1/2" hardibacker over the plywood should be sufficient. However, you said waterproof and cement board of any type is NOT. You would have to have a moisture barrier under it, as is done in a shower. A better choice for a floor would be redgard coating, or something from the schluter family.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To ensure the water runs to the drain, you need slope. What you need is essentially a large shower pan with a curb to keep it from running out into the hallway. You could effect a low one with a marble threshold, which MIGHT keep it from running out, depending on the flow rate. Keep in mind, you'll need to run the waterproofing up the wall a little, or it will just run underneath the wall plate. Check out www.johnbridge.com for some additional ideas.

If you have a pan underneath the washer and run the drain line from it, you wouldn't need the slope. This would NOT help (much) if a hose burst, though.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Don't use treated plywood. It can have enough movement (shrinkage) to crack tile. Use a schluter product as is done in a shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks