No water from outside faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

rileydog88

Reaction score
I have a faucet in the garage and one in the front of the house (townhouse). This is new construction but I believe the builders had used the faucets during construction as they left hoses and sprinklers in our garage. The faucets are both Woodford Model 17 so they have the vacuum breaker on the top. I have turned on the water at both the front and rear hose bibbs that are located in the closet by the furnace and hot water heater in the garage. I am getting absolutely no water from either faucet and not even any sound of pressure or water in the line. Is there something I'm missing? Is there something I'm supposed to do with the vacuum breakers? Any help or suggestions you can ive me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Vacuum breakers are there to prevent back flow into your home. Is there an inside valve to shut the water off to the sillcocks? If so are you sure it is turned on?

Other then stated above the only thing I can think of is the seat washer from the stem is stuck.

rileydog88

Reaction score
I'm only seeing the one valve labeled "cold water shut off" and that is turned on - no other problems with not having water anywhere else in the house.

I was wondering if there was something wrong with the actual faucet too, but since it's both of them it seems unlikely. Shouldn't I be hearing something with the faucet turned on?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I would look inside where they penetrate the wall and see if there is another valve on the line feeding the sillcocks. Some people have these installed and shut the water off at these in the fall for the add insurance that it wont freeze in the winter.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
The vacuum breaker has no effect on whether water comes out. It only lets air in.

Since it's both faucets, it's surely a valve somewhere.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with the previous answers. Look closer for a shut off valve. I would suspect there is a tee in the main supply line that feeds both faucets and that is where the valve is. Try tracing the lines from the faucet back. It isn't likely to be totally buried. A better way of frost proofing outdoor faucets is to install frost free valves that drain themselves when they are turned off, because what you have just stops "new" water from coming to the faucets and does not drain the existing water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks