Concrete Subfloor

Users who are viewing this thread

angelbaby7898

Reaction score
We are in the process of tearing out our bathroom. Figured if we were needing to re tile our shower might as well make it bigger while I'm at it. We have a concrete subfloor and in opening the walls have found a plumbing pipe in the way of were I wanted to expand the shower. Can someone please explain the process of moving plumbing in concrete. How exactly do I repair the subfloor when done?

Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You probably will need professional help on this one. Anytime you have to cut or break concrete you are venturing very close to te point where DIY is no longer appropriate. Not that it can't be done, but there are possible risks to the structure of the concrete, it is a fairly difficult job without proper tools and know-how. It is almost impossible to give specific advice on something like this without being on site to examine the entire picture. It would be wise for you to consult local professionals before proceeding.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Again and again I have tried to explain the proper way to pan a tile shower. I have never found an owner or other tradesman who really cares. And of course they fail. This is for pros. Why spend a fortune on tile only to have it wrecked in a year or two?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water line

The easy answer to your question is that it is not likely that YOU can do it. Normally a situation like that is going to require that the line be cut and extended under the floor and that requires a BRAZED joint that few DIYers are capable of doing.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For the drain, you could couple the drain pipe to plastic with the proper fitting after cutting off the original trap and then extend in plastic and put in a new trap where it needs to be. Water is tougher.

There are all sorts of ways to build a proper shower, and probably more that will cause it to fail. For help on how to build one that will last, check out www.johnbridge.com. Personally, I like the Kerdi system from www.schluter.com.

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
1) Refill with dirt and then gravel to the bottom of your existing slab.

2) Replace any damaged or missing vapor barrier that may be beneath the slab to the best of your ability.

3) You'll want to drill holes in the edge of the concrete around your opening, then insert rebar pieces. This will tie your patch and existing concrete together.

4) Mix and pour your concrete, screed off excess, trowel with a magnesium float to settle the aggregate and bring the cream to the top. Let it set a bit, then come back and finish trowel with a steel trowel or put a broom finish on.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
One problem that has been posted by more than one unsuspecting DIY'er ( or even a contractor ) is accidentally cutting a wire in post tension slabs. That will not make your day!

angelbaby7898

Reaction score
Thank you...

With more demo work completed I've discovered the shower floor was sunken in, the concrete was broken away to do this and the deck mud is just on the dirt... I just have no idea why someone would have done that.

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks