(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: What do I use to reduce water pressure to Steam generator

Default What do I use to reduce water pressure to Steam generator

I am remodeling my bathroom and converting my shower to a Steam Shower. I was planning to use a Mr. Steam MS-400E generator. I noticed in the installation manual that they require the water pressure to be reduced to 15-20 psi. My water pressure is currently 60 psi. I'm on a well.

What device do I use to reduce the pressure? Preferably something small enough to fit in the cabinet (under vanity) which will house the generator.

And is this a good idea, or should i look for another brand generator that can run on full pressure?

I looked at Amerec generators but they don't have the controls in the finish that match my fixtures - but more interestingly, they want the water PH at 10.5 to 11.5 (Mr. Steam doesn't specify). My tap water is closer to 7.2 PH. Is 10.5+ reasonable?

Thanks again.

I searched Goggle for an hour at least looking for a water regulator valve that reduced pressure to a 20psi working range and was about to give up (everything seemed to be aimed at reducing pressures to the 50-75psi range) when I found what I was looking for. Ironically, it was a link from the (this) Terry Love website to series of plumbing supplies. The solution is a Watts model 123LP valve.
    I gotta find that link again and save it as a favorite.

Default steam generator

They may LIKE a 15-20 psig into the water line, but I have always connected them directly to the water system.

It's good to know they can handle the pressure.

Default pressure

There are very few plumbing items, especially valves, which are NOT rated up to 150 psi working pressure.