air volume control device

Users who are viewing this thread

rlee

Reaction score
I have a 4" well with a submersiable pump. Having waterlogging problems. Purchased a avc (Johnson Controls) and it worked fine for about six months.
Can you recomend a better avc that will last longer? These things get pricey.
Also considered a bladder tank, but the well is artesian and I don't know if there would be an odor/taste problem. Can you help?

Thnks,
rlee

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Go with a bladder tank. If you end up with an odor problem and I doubt you will, put an inline carbon filter in.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I have a 4" well with a submersiable pump. Having waterlogging problems. Purchased a avc (Johnson Controls) and it worked fine for about six months.
Also considered a bladder tank, but the well is artesian and I don't know if there would be an odor/taste problem. Can you help?
What is wrong with the avc? Is it just blocked up?

You can tell if there is an odor in the water by smelling some of it before it goes in the tank.

Many odors in well water are caused by bacteria, do not use carbon filters on water of unknown microbiological content. Carbon is a great place for bacteria to grow and thrive.

rlee

Reaction score
It's been a few months since the avc quit working, but I think the paper that came with the avc said it was not a servicable part and must be replaced. I have had avc's on above ground pumps that last for years. I was supprised that this one only lasted six months. To me the water doesn't taste or smell bad. Some people think artesian water tastes or smells like rotten eggs and this was my concern with a bladder tank. I have no experience with bladder tanks and have heard they retain odors.

thanks
rlee

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
rlee, round these parts 90% of wells are artesian and probably 90% use bladder tanks with no odor problems. I think your fears are unfounded compared with the overall utility of a bladder tank and the elimination of a troublesome ACV.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
It's been a few months since the avc quit working, but I think the paper that came with the avc said it was not a servicable part and must be replaced. I have had avc's on above ground pumps that last for years. I was supprised that this one only lasted six months. To me the water doesn't taste or smell bad. Some people think artesian water tastes or smells like rotten eggs and this was my concern with a bladder tank. I have no experience with bladder tanks and have heard they retain odors.

thanks
rlee
Rotten egg odor is H2S gas produced by bacteria in the groundwater. As you depressurize and/or aerate the water like through a faucet, all gases come out of solution. Like in an air over water pressure tank like you have been using. A bladder tank doesn't allow that aeration so the gas stays in the water until it exits a faucet. So if you don't have the odor in the water before it goes into the tank, go with a bladder type tank.

rlee

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. If I go with a bladder tank, what size? This well supplies a mobile home with two people at this time (newly weds). Also, do I have to use a csv or can I hook it up without one? I am not familiar with csv's. What are the pros and cons?

Thanks
rlee

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No, you don't need a csv but you can go that route if you want to and in a mobile home where space is sometimes at a premium you may indeed want to. Otherwise, I always tell folks to use the largest tank they can fit in the space and afford. Big tanks = longer pump cycle times which is good for the pump. If you go with a csv you can use a very small tank. Take a look at Valveman's avatar. That is a small tank with csv. You can see that the whole set up takes up very little space.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the info. If I go with a bladder tank, what size? This well supplies a mobile home with two people at this time (newly weds). Also, do I have to use a csv or can I hook it up without one? I am not familiar with csv's. What are the pros and cons?

Thanks
rlee
The size of the tank depends on the size of your pump. Unless you use a CSV. The pump has to be off for at least 60 seconds before it comes on again.

Read all about the pros and cons of a CSV here;
www.cyclestopvalves.com

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The following link is for Goulds diaphragm well tanks. It lists the various sizes and specifications. Note that it does not list pump size. The TP80 is the most commonly used tank, being a good compromise between storage and cost.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Porky, just read through the link you posted. We don't do much of that up here, most drillers are still installing a tank. Looks like it may be the future though. Any recurring problems that you have run into? And it seems to me like that might just be the ideal way to go for sprinkler systems.

Traveller

Reaction score

Thnks,
rlee

How do you use an AVC with a submersible pump?

Traveller

Reaction score
I'm assuming this is the unit you are referring to:

AirVolumeControl032DJFs.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks