(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toto won't flush (Youtube video)

Default Toto won't flush (Youtube video)

Hi

This 5 year old Toto slowly stopped flushing well about a year ago. I thought it had something to do with the chain length because it had come off sometime around when the problem started. I have tried a bunch of different chain lengths but nothing seems to affect the ability of the toilet to flush. The only way you can get it to flush is by holding down the handle. And even that does not work all of the time. I put a video of it in action on youtube. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTrOEMKnfrs

This is how a TOTO works when the trapway is not filled with tile grout
    Last edited by Reader Review; 09-08-2009 at 03:37 PM.

I have to say you definitely have something lodged in the trapway, an object got stuck in the trapway of my 3 yr old Toto and it had the same symptoms. I had to take the toilet out and remove the object from the underside which turned out to be a peice of wire that was catching toilet paper and clogging, but the object could be anything, most likely something bathroom related.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Trapway,

Remove whatever is in the trapway.

That could be by plunging, if that works,

or Closet Auger

We use a closet auger with the large 1-3/8" end on it.
    Smaller cables can go right by the obstruction and not move it.

We had a similar job we went out to, the first plumber told the homeowner that they had a defective bowl.
    Jamie went out with his auger, and decided to pull the bowl.
    This is what he found.
    The first plumber had run his auger through, but it went right by Mr GI Joe.
    Last edited by Terry; 08-31-2009 at 06:05 PM.

DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar

When one of my kids was about two a paratrooper went down the toilet. I didn't know what was causing the clog at first--I thought it was just an excessive amount of TP (see toddler) and "other". I didn't realize why that stuff was hanging, but I managed to clear the trapway and thought I had it resolved...unfortunately, the paratrooper found a tree to get hung up in (some roots) about 20 feet away in the yard, so the victory was very short. This resulted in a "search and rescue" mission with a plumber who proudly displayed his find. The toddler eventually fessed up to sending a man on a covert mission, a very dirty job through enemy lines.

Blog Entries

THis toilet flushes with no problem if I pour 2 gallons in the bowl. Would this happen if there were something in the trap?
    Yes, water will go right by GI Joe, and then wave goodby.

Paper kind of gets hung up though.
    Paper just loves to "shake hands" with GI Joe.

Trapway of the Drake.
    When something is in the trapway, it slows the siphon.
    An easy way to find out?
    Wad up paper towels and try flushing those.
    Last edited by Terry; 09-01-2009 at 05:03 PM.

Blog Entries

In the video, the flapper goes up and down.
    Just like a normal flapper on these.
    No problem there.

Then you look at the bowl, and there is no water movement really.
    Because the siphon is being slowed down.

Most of the flush takes place below the water surface.
    Very little water ever goes down the walls of the bowl.

Clear the trapway, and the siphon starts to work again.

It's not rocket Science,

But it is common sense.

It's just a typical plugged bowl that needs to be cleared.

You can play with it, and pamper it all you want, but at some point, somebody needs to remove whatever is in that trapway.

Last edited by Terry; 09-05-2009 at 09:09 AM.

I love a healthy discussion, but have zero experience with this topic (except that it is my toilet). So I am just listening and learning and feel gratitude torwards all posters trying to help. I will get a closet auger and try to clear the trap. I will let everyone know what happens.

Greg

Blog Entries

I had Jamie look at the video with me.

Keep in mind that we sell thousands of these a year,
    We have these in our homes,
    We install thousands of these,
    We do service calls on these.

The flapper is operating normally

There is "something" in the trapway.

It could be a tooth brush, make up pen, bar of soap, tampon, cell phone, pen, measuring cup,

Basically anything that slows the water.

Make up pen? I know what a tampon is, a cell phone, a measuring cup ( in the bathroom? who is cooking in there) but, I am not familar with a make up pen, is this a man's view of eyeliner?

is this it? lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Cookie; 09-01-2009 at 08:27 PM.

Here is one of my past problems...toilet slow exactly like the OPs toilet, we would auger toilet and dump 5 gallons of water and all was good, put paper in toilet and no go...pulled toilet and what it was was a plastic coated card stuck in the trapway that would allow water to flow past after augering just fine but would catch paper, Etc., once removing the card all worked fine...if it was a partial blockage 5 gallons, and sometimes I use 10 gallons, it would back up...also with a partial line blockage many times it will flush fine the first time but not the second or 3rd and the blockage would get progressively worse until it wouldn't flush at all...

Question for the OP...did this happen all of a sudden one day?
    Last edited by Cass; 09-02-2009 at 06:46 AM.

Blog Entries

Cass has it right.
    Things can hang out in the trapway, letting water by, and not letting water by.
    Slowing the water, and then for some reason pulling back and letting things pass.
    Remove the object, and it will work like new again.

Micp879
    Rim holes on the Drake are for a slight amount of rinse.
    The Drake uses a siphon to flush with.
    If you have a Maverick, it will flush much like it.
    Drop a quarter into the bowl, and flip the lever.
    The coin will disappear right away, and then it will look like the flush is starting.
    The coin shows that most of the water is going through below the surface, the flush is almost done before the surface collapses.
    If this were a washdown bowl, then the rim holes might make a difference.
    But it's a siphon jet bowl. You could plug every hole, and it would still flush.

Drake Pepper Test

Ian,
    The flapper in the video has a hole cut into the lower portion.
    When the chain lifts the flapper, it hangs for just a moment, and then the hole lets the air escape for a "timed" flush.
    The only way to "force" the flapper to stay up, is by manually holding it up.
    The AS Cadet flapper doesn't have the hole, it's heavy plastic with a rubber disk on the lower side. It drops because its weighted.

Things in trapways
    Unless you have a Caroma toilet with a 3" or larger trapway, you can't flush down potatoes, bars of soap, toy cars, toilet paper holders, shampoo bottles, doggies throwing balls, army men, cell phones, playing cards, carpet strands, coffee cups, construction waste, tile grout,

Heck, even the Caroma has a hard time with tile grout.

Carpet adhesive, measuring cups, pencils, car keys, I can think of lot's of things that kids and dogs drop in.
    And construction workers.

One job I was one, the tile setter used the toilet drain to dispose of his broken tiles.

The point of deleting some of the dumb comments, was to move on with the real issue. You can dream up any sci fi thing that could be happening, maybe the Zorans came down and hit the bowl with a strong blast of radiation, causing water to change properties,
    but I don't think so.

Flapper with "timing" hole.
    The hole prevents the flapper from floating.
    Last edited by Reader Review; 09-05-2009 at 04:35 PM.

I bought an auger today but have not had a chance to use it yet. I was reading the recent posts and hate to admit to making a mistake but I did pour a lot of grout rinse water down there a while back. Based on Terry's last post I am guessing this is a bad thing. If I have a pile of grout in there, will the auger remove it?

Thanks again
    Greg

Ok, yes there was grout (washings?) poured down there a while back. My memory is hazy as to whether the toilet stopped working around the same time or not. I got an auger today and worked on the toilet for about 20 minutes. The augering got quite vigorous! No change in flushing. The other bit of bad news, or good, depending on who you are, is that I saw some sandy grout type stuff down in the bottom of the bowl after a particularly vigorous thrashing. I didn't examine it that closely so it could have been some other darkish material.

Should I take the toilet off now?

Greg

Blog Entries

If you are lucky, the grout is in the bowl, and you just buy a new bowl, reusing the old tank.

If unlucky, the grout may have made it to the drain line under the floor.

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale Peanut9199's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TedL View Post
    [B]explain why a partial blockage restricts the normal volume of water, but not a larger one.
    If you have a partial blockage such as a toothbrush, toilet paper will build up on it causing a blockage.

If you add a bit of water it will pass by the blockage slowly but not dislodge the toilet paper, but if you add a large volume of water it will rip the paper off the toothbrush and allow more water to pass looking like it's now flushing ok.

The next time you flush with a normal amount of water (1.6g) the paper will get caught up again.

This is why if you have a blockage it is better to use a 5gal bucket of water to get rid of the blockage than a plunger.