Is the diverter in a tub MV same as for shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I am remodeling a shower and want to install both rain head and a handheld shower head. I saw some nice MV fixtures at Lowes (Mohen and Delta) that have the single on/off water/temperature control valve with a smaller diverter valve in the center for controlling/diverting the water to a tub facuet or shower head.

Is this type of diverter okay to use for selecting water between a rain head or handheld shower head? Or do i need a special shower-stall-only diverter valve for non-tub applications?

thanks, Mike

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
A shower valve is different from a Tub & Shower valve in that it doesn't have an outlet for a tub spout.

For showers that have both a shower head and hand held you can get a diverter that attatches to the shower arm and you switch between the 2 with it...

You could retro fit a tub / shower valve to work with a hand held but most are connected at the shower arm with a diverter there...

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply and explaination. Since I'm doing a remodel and will be repalcing the multi-valve, I'll make sure I get the right type of diverter. I'll start looking on the fauct makers websites.
I believe Moen is a good brand. I'm not sure if Delta is considered cheap or if they have good products too (higher-end line). Can you recommend some manufacturers of shower valves?
thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

"good" and "cheap" are in the eyes of the beholder. I consider the Moen valves cheap and the Delta valves good, but other plumbers are exactly opposite. And in some situations, I would not use either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks