Shower Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

PK*

Reaction score
Recently purchased my first home and I noticed that the shower valve handle acts strange when rotated. The valve is a single handle unit so normally looking at the knob turning counter clockwise the shower goes from cold to warm when fully cranked. Mine starts off cold, gets warm as I get to the middle, turning it a bit more turns it off, and fully turned gives me medium temperatures. Nowhere does my water get hot. I have confirmed that the rest of the house has no problem getting any hot water in the 3 sinks. This has me a bit worried but that's why I'm asking, I'm not a plumber so I figured I would ask what I should consider. To me it sounds like a valve adjustment/replacement but I can use some advice.

Thanks in advance.

*mods please move to shower and tub forum, just noticed I posted in the wrong forum.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

It sounds like a Moen or Delta valve with the brass rotation stop missing. The lack of hot water could be an adjustment or a stuck balancing spool.

SLB

Reaction score
I just installed a Price-Pfister valve similar to what you described, and it has an adjustable setting for the maximum water temperature. The max water temperature for our valve is set by rotating an adjustment ring located behind the finish plate.

If you can identify the manufacturer and model of your valve, you may be able to find an installation manual on-line that explains any adjustments.

Regards,
Steve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks