Vent Upstream from Fixture?

Users who are viewing this thread

Raildog

Reaction score
Underground inspection was rejected today because vent for WC on horizontal branch was between fixture and main drain. I was required to move vent upstream from combo to the water closet. I read UPC code to say that vent should be downstream from fixture. Am I missing something?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Where exactly was the vent? How many feet from the WC? Were there any other fixtures in your setup? Just trying to fully understand what you had and exactly where he wanted the vent.

Raildog

Reaction score
Wish i had pic's. The original vent was 4x2 combo on its back 2or 3 inches downstream of WC combo. Moved just upstream. the next fixture is another 4x2 combo going to shower, it is revented near trap. Next is floor drain 15 feet away and is on 3" pipe and trap. He ok'd everything else but wanted vent moved. Thanks for help!

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Underground inspection was rejected today because vent for WC on horizontal branch was between fixture and main drain. I was required to move vent upstream from combo to the water closet. I read UPC code to say that vent should be downstream from fixture. Am I missing something?

Common practice with most codes is to have the fixture wash the vent, so if your vent was downstream of the toilet I don't know why it was regected unless something else was wrong. :confused:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

Upstream or downstream could change definitions depending on the actual circumstances. We would need a picture or other visual to be sure we are interpreting what you describe accurately.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks