Urinal plumbing leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

A Charles

Reaction score
I am just the handy guy at local Hostel (kinda Hotel) and well I got assigned to look at the smelly urinal to see what I could do or should we call a plumber. Well let me tell you they don't me anywhere near enough to do that.

But I went ahead and took off the bottom pipes and the u pipe was very clogged and beyond disgusting, blah blah, I told my manager we should just replace it but he goes into this song and dance about finding one and .... so I said I could probably clean it out and soaked it in vinegar overnight and then rinsed and chiseled a bit and it is very clear although still odoriferous.

So I put it back on and now it leaks on the u tube.
I put some putty on and teflon tape but the tape seemed to have come off while I was screwing the flange (???) back on.

So please help on how I might do this putty and teflon tape stuff.

Many thanks.

A Charles

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
U tube? I have not heard that proper English since I was in England.

I bet the leak is on a portion where the waste is traveling up, no?

Well, there are two things you could try. The first is to buy a new seal which is the plastic or rubber washer you should have found when you took the trap off. These are not supposed to be reusable.

The second, if it is metal pipe that you are using, is to tighten down a little more.

You should not need to use teflon tape or putty in sealing a trap.

A Charles

Reaction score
first thanks for your prompt replies.

It is the trap bend I am replacing.

Ian, it is leaking there but also at the first joint too.
I tightened them more and more but was concerned about possibly stripping
them or going too far.
I don't remember a seal when I took it off but will go to the hardware store to
get one, thanks for that.
There was definitely putty and teflon on the threads there before.

The urinal is a 1920s model but the Trap bend is stainless probably put in around
1993 when the house was moved.

Terry, I didn't take the tap arm off so I don't believe the 'new slip joint washer at the wall. ' would be applicable. Or do I misunderstand you?
Should I replace that piece too? Ugh.

OK thanks again for your quick replies.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When you are working with plumbing, it's much quicker to replace with new parts while you are at it.

And, metal traps exposed to urine will dissolve over time.

A Charles

Reaction score
I bought a plastic j trap, the part from the wall doesn't come out so I can only replace the J piece.

I put it on and voila, still leaking, so I tighten it more and stopped the leak on the trap arm to the tail bend but still the tail piece leaks where it joins the trap bend, so I tighten and tighten and still leaking so then I tried a bead of silicone below and on top and .....

Well I am going to wait for it to dry and don't come back to work till tuesday so won't know till then.

Thanks for all your help, if it doesn't hold boss will call the Real Plumber at $$$ cost, I won't share any more thoughts on that.
Cheers,

A Charles

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Damn, I forgot.

One thing plumbers never do, but it has worked for me in the past is to double up the washers.

That silicone will never come apart.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks