Another Flange Bites The Dust... (How to Repair?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Snapplez

Reaction score
Website
www.bleps.com
I know there are dozens of flange repair question on the site (I did the responsible thing and tried to search for answers first - didn't find an answer). Sorry to bring this topic up again - any help/advice is most appreciated.

Short Story
  • Busted/rotted/tilted toilet flange - it needs repair.
  • Flange is unidentified soft metal (perhaps lead?).
  • Flange is set in 30 year old concrete slab.
  • Photo shows the gory details.

matterhorn-flange.jpg

Questions
  • What is the easiest way to fix this situation? I would prefer to replace the flange rather than patch it with metal rings, etc.
  • I would prefer the flange be replaced *after* the installation of tile floor so the flange sits on top. Is this a good strategy?
  • Is this a lead flange? (I thought they stopped doing that about 35 years ago)

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
That is a lead pipe with a brass flange. If the lead is in good shape all you have to do is remove the old flange by straighting the lead pipe that is folded over it. Get a new brass 4" flange place it over the pipe and fold it back down. I would advise screwing the new flange to the floor. When resetting the toilet use wax ring with a horn on it. Depending on how far below the surface of the new floor the flange will be you may have to use a regular wax ring on top of the first.

John

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most of us strongly discourage the use of the horned wax ring. It seems they tend to cause problems and really don't add anything to the sealing for the flange to the toilet. Most would recommend a stainless steel flange and screws.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks