Will this ever be a basement bathroom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I am a little embarassed to show you my not-yet-finished attempt at semi-finishing my basement but I need to ask a question.

One day, will this 1950s rough-in be adequate for a bathroom? Toilet, shower, vanity. Or is it pigslop?

Yes, I know the pipework looks like it was installed yesterday. But trust me, I did not touch it.

IMGP1504.jpg

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Judging by what I can see, and what I sort of figure goes where, I would say it's fine. Looks like old school, individual vented fixtures, which is nice to see for a change. If not though you can continue on with the porta-potty :D

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks nhmaster.

The portapotty was great while we had our (only) bathroom upstairs remodeled.

It's fully flushable and will last a couple for one week.

After that it becomes full and starts to smell.

Emptying it almost made me sick. I keep it as a happy reminder.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
That is not conduit but the highest quality cast iron C NUMB!

I have it on the highest authority that only US$1 million + homes are piped in cast iron these days.

Poor people (and those that live on wells) often use ghastly PVC.

Us rich and famous sit back and enjoy the delicious silence of our iron waste and soil stacks.

I love iron.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks