What's eating the pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

MaintenanceGuy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've seen this twice in pvc pipe buried underground.

Grooves cut into the pipe where it enters the fitting. There was one small leak and it didn't spray over this wide an area so I'm betting against erosion from the leaking water.

Any guesses?

Attachments

• gouged pipe.jpg
    gouged pipe.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 437

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
is this a water line or waste ???

What size pipe?

MaintenanceGuy

In the Trades
Reaction score
irrigation line, buried in very, very sandy soil. No photoshop, I took the picture myself. No exposure to solvents unless that was done before the pipe was installed.

The grooves are completely smooth, no tool marks or scrapes, no sharp spots. Looks like it was slowly eroded away but I can't figure out what would have done that.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
I've seen this twice in pvc pipe buried underground.

Grooves cut into the pipe where it enters the fitting. There was one small leak and it didn't spray over this wide an area so I'm betting against erosion from the leaking water.

Any guesses?

I can't figure what it is, looks like a bald piece of pipe with a mystery (fitting?) shoved into the bald pipe with another bald pipe shoved into the mystery fitting. I think it is some kind of jerry rig. It may be a reducer that someone forced into the pipe by heating it. :confused:

MaintenanceGuy

In the Trades
Reaction score
The piece is back at the shop and I won't be there again until Tuesday but I believe this is a piece of 2-1/2" pvc reduced to 2" with a standard pvc reducing bushing. If it is some sort of jerry rig, it didn't jump out at me. On first glance, it looked like all the fittings were standard and right for the job. But I was focused on the grooves, not the type of fitting.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
grooves

Those grooves look EXACTLY like the ones caused by water leaking through the joints. That joint does not appear to have EVER been glued together so the leaks would have been all around its circumference.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's sombody's hack job (literally). There are no pipe fittings designed to go inside the
pipe, as Mr. Hack tried to do there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks