Rigid or Flexible Braided Connections?

Users who are viewing this thread

The Perfectionist

Reaction score
I have always understood the new braided connections are the way to go. Recently a respected plumbing company has indicated their preference to use ridged, further will not warrantee or guarantee flexible connections.

Any thoughts, we sure could use some advice.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
If you are talking about toilet supply lines, then rigid ones are more work than braided flexible stainless steel (over rubber pipe) but if done properly can look much nicer and last just as long.

I wouldn't worry. If someone wanted to fit a nice shiney chrome-plated one for me, I'd chuck my cheap brass-braided line out of the window without a second thought.

Part of me misses a beautifully shaped chrome supply line.

And there are some braided supply lines which are not even metal braids (the Orange Big Box store sells them). I'd avoid those.

See what pipe they intend on using and if it is pretty.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Many faucets now come with braided supplies right on the faucet.

We've been using good quality braides supplies,
Not the Watts Floodsafe though, those are junk.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not the Watts Floodsafe though, those are junk.

Glad to hear it's not just me. I tried a set with those checks a year ago and they had just the problem I feared: they were too sensitive. I've also had trouble with the standard Watts braided lines for the washer. One started leaking the first time I removed and reattached it. The old black rubber hoses lasted 18 years and many moves before I decided to replace them... one was beginning to bulge. The Watts lasted less than a year.

I like braided lines for convenience, but the only major plumbing failure I've had came from some damage to one of those during a faucet changeout. It got some twist in the braiding and I should have known better than to trust it, but I was tired of making unanticipated parts runs that day. Blew out that night and I awoke to several thousand gallons of water in the house. Oh, yeah, that was fun... :eek:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
While there is nothing wrong with a the solid tubing supply line, it is somewhat more difficult to fit. That isn't your problem if the plumber wishes to install it. Otherwise, the flex tubing with the stainless steel braiding is very good. You must have an old school plumber that isn't about to make changes.:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks