Replacing basket strainer

Users who are viewing this thread

LiamM

Reaction score
Hello

Some basic questions follow - thanks for your patience and advice.

I'm trying to replace a basket strainer. I've got the old strainer removed, but I'm now confused how to remove the section of drain pipe so I can slide off the old slip nut.

I thought I could simply slide it off the top, but the pipe has a flared lip on top.

The attached picture shows the pipe section I'm trying to remove (copper? - I'm not sure what it is). I don't even know how to try removing it - is it threaded in? Do I unscrew it? What do I replace it with?

As it turns out, I would've had to replace it anyways...as I was unscrewing the hose clamp to the dishwasher drain line on the right, it ripped right off, opening a inch-wide hold in that main pipe section.

Thanks again

IMG_2640_Resize.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Do you have a trap there?? If not, replace it all and put in a trap. Can you post a whole picture of your cabinet space?

That pipe is sitting down in the PVC, should pull out unless someone epoxied it in.

LiamM

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast response Florida...

I don't *think* there's a P-trap...here's a picture of the entire cabinet space, plus the crawl space where the pipe goes. I'm not sure if the second picture has the equivalent of a p-trap, or what.

As far as that pipe, it definitely doesn't pull out. If it is epoxied, what then?

IMG_2641_Resize.jpg
IMG_2642_Resize.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Ackkkk!! Bottle trap! ;) :D

The closest (and easiest to make it right) would be to remove the bottle trap and put a P-trap and at the least an AAV (Air admittance valve).

If it is epoxied, what then?

You'lll either need to put in a new section of PVC or use an adjustable plier and try to break the epoxy.

LiamM

Reaction score
Thanks again for the responses.

I'm about to call it a night, but plan on looking into your suggestions when I pick back up on the project.

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

That pipe is just slid into the larger one. If it was inserted while the glue was still wet it may have adhered to it, but a good twist and pull will remove it. That is a drum trap, not a bottle trap, and while not a good idea, will work. The nut on THAT drain piece was a "captive" one, which means it was installed during the manufacturing process and could NOT be replaced. You would have had to get a new flanged branch tailpiece even if the DW connection had not broke off.

LiamM

Reaction score
thanks...

Another basic question - what's the purpose of the plastic nut where the two pipe sections meet? to hold the new tailpiece in place?

I mean, only the plastic pipe is threaded, right? I guess I can't see what the nut does, aside from just screwing onto the plastic pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks