Help with proper fittings, pic included

Users who are viewing this thread

stulk

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum and am a new home owner as well. I need to replace the valve on the main water line. I will call my town office and they will shut down the main water, however i am unsure of what parts i need and what materials to use to replace the defective valve. Please help

Attachments

• plumbing_pic2.jpg
    plumbing_pic2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 392

Psjr56

Reaction score
Looks like it says 1/2 on the side of the valve. I would have thought it would be 3/4 too.

stulk

Reaction score
Will i cut it off where the copper pipe is joined? It looks like there are 4 parts that join the copper to the plastic pipe, maybe five depending on whats in the plastic pipe. Would i use any type of glue for where it joins to the plastic?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
One very easy method:

Cut the copper pipe, leaving about 2 " still attached to the male adapter which is screwed into the valve. Save that. Screw that into the new threaded ball valve. Screw the ball valve into the fitting next to the 45. Cut the main copper pipe to length as necessary and join with a compression coupling or shark bite.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Are radiator hose clips allowed to join water pipes like that in this Great Nation?

That would not be allowed in England (aka the Motherland) unless perhaps this were a garden hose.

Last edited:

stulk

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info. Will i have to glue any thing or use teflon tape?

stulk

Reaction score
I will tackle this on tuesday when i can get the town to shut off the water.

Jimbo,

are you saying that i should cut the copper pipe and unscrew the adapters and save them for the new vavle?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
are you saying that i should cut the copper pipe and unscrew the adapters and save them for the new vavle?
progress.gif

I think most of the plumbers have mentioned cutting the copper pipe.

If you buy a threaded ball valve, you can get by with one coupling, saving the current male adapter that is now on the copper.

Cutting the copper about 6" away and saving the section.
You can then thread that to the new valve, and the valve onto the existing threaded nipple.
Then you will be left with the coupling to connecto it together again.

You can solder the coupling,

Or use a fitting like a sharkbite.

The threaded ball valve where it threads onto the tapered threads will need a pipe thread sealant, either Teflon Tape, or Pipe Dope (thread sealant in a can)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks