Best toilet for BIG one-piece stools. Drake, Dalton, Cim, Champ?

Users who are viewing this thread

surfing20

Reaction score
Believe me this is no laughing matter.

Visits from the in-laws mean the toilets will be corked. And now we know my son inherited a lovely, uh, genetic advancement called irritable bowl syndrome. The benefit of this advancement is that a full sized adult only goes once every three days. The downside is that every three days they give birth to a high density single object of disgust that is the size of a grande burrito packed with rice and beans. No joke, these objects are 2"-2.5" in width and 6 inches long and packed like hard frozen ice cream.

My 9 year old son now regularly produces objects 2" in width and 5" long and he still small ... how big are they going to get? Yikes.

My Objective: NO Cloughs .. I dont care if multiple flushes are required.

On to the toilets:

Drake: Reading here I thought the Drake was my dream toilet but when I went out to get one but stopped dead in my tracks when I saw that little tiny mouth for the top of the trench at the bottom of the bowl. In fact these could completely cover the mouth of the trench. There is no way these large objects are going into that little hole without being obliterated. Is there sufficient hydraulic violence at the mouth of the Drake' trench to act like a food grinder to quickly chew things up so they will go down .. or should I keep looking.

Dalton: It does not have GMAX but does have the widest Toto trench I saw and the 2 1/8" trapway. These objects could drop in the trench where the lower jet will hit them directly.

Cimarron: Less money and sounds good except the bowl was issue and I have not looked at the trench.

Champion: ADA or new one-piece .. lots of controversy on these units turns me off .. but should I look at these again.

Caroma: No elongated bowl and the toilets are really long and wont fit well in my small bathrooms. But ..

I would appreciate your help in selecting a unit.

Thanks much,
James

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The Terry Love website has information about how many grams of .....something...that the different toilets flush . About the size of the object, I'm letting Mr. Love handle that question!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most of the recommended toilets use a trapway in the 2 1/8" to 2 3/8" range.

This works well with the commonly sized 7/8" by 4" human waste weighing 50 grams that the average person puts out. By the way, a healthy male can put out 250 grams of waste at a time.

If you have to move something 2"-2.5" in width and 6 inches long, then you have an unusual problem. That is huge!
2-1/2" is larger than any of the trapways mentioned except on the Caroma.

Caroma does make a 270 regular bowl ADA height toilet with a 4" trapway that reduces to something like 3" at the outlet.

For most people without medical problems, the list is here
Terry Love's Consumer Report on Low-flow toilets.
A report for and by consumers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Delphi

Reaction score
I have the Caroma 270 and it is not very long. It may just appear so compared to other toilets because the entire base of the Caroma is skirted. It fits fine in my small bathroom. It does flush each time without clogging.

Actually, surfing20, there is no benefit to only having a bowel movement once every three days. It is very unhealthy. Drugs can often aggravate the problem. It is known that Irritable Bowel Syndrome "responds beautifully to a high-fibre diet" (British Lancet, April 25, 1987). It would really help to ensure that your son's diet is high in fibre, such as whole grains, e.g. whole wheat bread, rather than refined foods such as white bread. I look at the fibre listed for the bread and select the one that has the most fibre.

surfing20

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

hcj, thanks for the pointer to Vitra. Vitra was new to me but there is no dealer anywhere near so I will pass because of the parts problem.

Terry, thanks for the pointer back to Caroma. On the caroma website I could not find any listing of a toilet product with seats more than 16.5" long or over 15" seat hieght so I passed. However ... they go on and on about a 4" trapway. Maybe I will drive 45 miles to the nearest caroma dealer and take a look.

Delphi, thanks for sharing about your Caroma 270. Skirted units most often require the supply to be wider than 5". The spec sheets do not talk about how much offset is required for the supply line. 5", 6", 7"? Do you know?

Thanks for the pointer on fiber. My son is down stairs eating shredded wheat for breakfast. He probably knows more about fiber in the diet than most 20 year olds. It helps but the curse is still with him. It just breaks my heart to see the little guy burdened by it.

James

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Caroma ADA, regular bowl, 17" high

Caroma listw the commercial ADA version on their web site, they do make it. We have them in Seattle. (I don't ship out of the area from here though)

It comes in an regular bowl and taller 17" bowl height.
Since the bowl is not elongated, I don't think it should be considered an ADA model.
The toilet is 29" long, front to back and 3/4" of space between it and the wall.
They say it has a 4" trapway, but in the real world, they reduce it down to 3" at the outlet to fit most common plumbing.

Last edited:

surfing20

Reaction score
Thanks much Terry.

Thanks for the Caroma ADA information. I am just hoping that does not add 2" to the overall length. At 31" my bath door would never close again. I will try go looking to see if I can find one.

> (I don't ship out of the area from here though)
I tried to buy a Drake from the you the other day. I appreciate the help you provide in this forum and when you do start shipping to San Diego I hope to send some business your way.

Thanks for your help,
James

Delphi

Reaction score
I have seen the Caroma Caravelle 270 ADA and regular Caroma Caravelle 270 side by side in a bathroom showroom and they are identical except for height. I think the ADA one is 17 inches. So don't worry you should be able to close your bathroom door. :D

surfing20

Reaction score
Update on best Toto choices

Terry's recommendation for the CEFIONTECT ADA Drake was a great help. Was right on.

We moved and now I have two people corking up toilets in the new house with single, fat burrito sized deposites (IBS is no fun).

Terry, I see you now like the double cyclone flush a lot.. I am worried that it will not do the most important job for me.. pushing down these large burritos the Drake handled pretty well.

What toto toilet model should I buy now looking at now.

Upstairs:
Standard height
CEFIONTECT
Not too long end-2-end seems like the space is tight.
Really deals well with large not, all that soft waste burritos

Downstairs:
ADS height
CEFIONTECT
Not too long end-2-end seems like the space is tight.
Really deals well with large not, all that soft waste burritos
I would pay a little more for skirt/nicer looking unit.

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Again,
If the topic is oversized, then options are:

Caroma dual flush bowls, either the 305 or the 270 bowl.

highline-pa-ken.jpg

Kohler with Flushmate pressure assist. The Pressure assist Highline.

Last edited:

surfing20

Reaction score
Again,
If the topic is oversized, then options are:..

Thanks Terry.

The ADA Drake with CEFIONTECT you recommended for us is years back was working great.

Now I see GMAX, EMAX and Double Cyclone options.
If I stay with Toto do you recommend I stay with GMAX or look at any EMAX or double cyclone options?

Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have been advised that adding some warm water to the bowl will soften the stools. Extra work, but all kidding aside, it is a serious issue affecting a segment of the population, and the plumbing world has not really caught up.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the original Drake worked, the Drake II should work as well. If you plugged that, then Terry's other choices would be appropriate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks