Vent size ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mudball

Reaction score
I met a plumber I think I want to use but wanted to ask a question about something he said. He was telling me about wet and dry vents which I found interesting and he also told me about some codes in certain areas require a wet vent for each fixture. Well a long story short he told me that if he was to do the job that if I didnr have a problem with it that he would rather use two 2" vents rather than one 4" and that way I can have a 2x4 wall rather than a 2x6 wall and I would have two wet vents for each bathroom rather than one 4" and all the 2" pipes would all come together in the attic and exit through the roof with either a single 3" or 4"
Does this sound alright ? Advantages/disadvantages ? Thoughts please.

Mudball

Reaction score
Sounds great. Thats another score for this plumber that I believe I want to use for the job.
Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wet vents

Think about this. A wet vent means that there is another fixture connected above it to create the wet vent. If EVERY fixture needed a wet vent, how would the upper fixtures get wet vented? The number of vents, and their sizes, is determined by the arrangement of the fixtures. In most areas, and codes, the TOTAL area of the vents through the roof has to equal the area of the incoming sewer to the house. That means that a 4" sewer would require FOUR 2" vents, not two, and a 3" sewer would require the equivalent of two 2" and one 1 1/2".

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

Last edited by a moderator:

Mudball

Reaction score
Thanks for explaining that hj. I believe he said the same thing but now I better understand it because I can read it again since you typed it. If Im not mistaken he said he was going to leave each bathroom with two 2" vents and there would also be more for the utility room and that they would all come together and exit the roof in a single 4". Well from what information Im getting from here and in combination with what he is telling me then it sounds like he is going to do it right and Im just wanting to make sure.

OscarG

Reaction score
This scenerio sounds like it could solve a problem for me...

Just to be clear, I do not need to carry my 3" drain, at that size, all the way to the attic for vent. My fixture locations, all on one floor, for a bath (w.c., shower and lav), kitchen sink with dish washer and laundry stand pipe have me carrying five vents to attic.

I'm using 2" for all although I realize some could be smaller. Given the area of a 2" pipe I could combine vents in attic so that three 2" merge into a 3" pipe and out through roof without problem?

Originally, I was trying to continue the 3" to vent near the w.c. Unfortunately there is a beam blocking access to the attic for a 3" but the 2" would fit easily.

I am under NY Residential Code (baed on IPC).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dollars

quote; Thats 100 dollars every second

Isn't that about what the executive of the failed financial institutions made for their salaries? And what they are stealing out of the 735 billion bailout money?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks