CPVC vs PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

Gringo

Reaction score
Hi Terry

I am building a house in Mexico. I have been told that CPVC would be better for all water lines, both hot and cold, than PVC. All construction down here is brick and concrete and the tubeing will be embedded in both. What do you suggest?

Thank you,
Paul

Gringo

Reaction score
PoliMex

Thanks, Ron

I was hoping that would be right.

Another question: Have you heard of a tubing called PoliMex? It is made in Argentina and I have heard that it is not available in the States, but I'm not sure. It is kind of orange in color and is treated like galvanized... that is to say that it is cut and threaded for couplings. It is somewhat more flexible than CPVC and PVC and highly recommended down here. Do you know anything about this product?

Gringo

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have. It has not yet passed through the required testing but knowing the code review boards it probably will. Hell, they let sharkbites pass.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to realize that CPVC inside measures less than copper of the same size. It may not seem like too much difference, but remember you are dealing with the square of the radius times Pi to compute volume so even a little difference in radius compounds. Usually you figure using CPVC a size larger than you would copper. Is there a reason you aren't using copper?

Gringo

Reaction score
CPVC vs Copper

Hi guys and thanx a bunch for your input.

Your question: CPVC vs copper? PRICE!!

I have still another question regarding the CPVC:

Internet research states that, when useing CPVC, you must allow for tube expansion- saying, with hot water, it can expand (lengthen) an inch in 50'.
(tell you the truth, I cannot believe this). Then, a page or two further down, it states that it is perfectly suitable for placement in concrete (which is what we do down here for all construction). Obviously, embedded in brick walls and concrete floors/ceilings, there just ain't gonna be any 'allowance' for expansion.
Any words of wisdom regarding this?

Paul

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

Your lines in the walls are not going to be 50' long, and since the expansion is linear, the lengths you use will have minimal expansion. I would not use it under the floor because joints under a concrete slab are a disaster waiting to happen.

Gringo

Reaction score
Regarding running the CPVC under the slab, we actually are planning on running the hot water feed under the dining room slab over to the kitchen sink. We will, however, be incorporating a heavy wire mesh into the slab as well as 3/8" rebar criss-crossing at every 3'. Should this minimize the risk?

Thank you,
Paul

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks