Replacing Well Pump in Western Central FL

Users who are viewing this thread

aquadude

Reaction score
Bought my home 3 years ago (1992 yr built -so well is that old). I don't want the pump to go out and it's an emergency so I was thinking of having pump replaced.

Should I try to get three bids (I don't know how deep the well is - the casing material, etc.) or just call someone?

I don't have anything they could base a price on.

what should I look for in a contractor?

Should I even replace it or just let it go till it quits? I hate emergency situations cause then you can be behind the 8 ball.

THanks for any help.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That pump could go out tomorrow, or it could last another 20 years. Even if you put in a new pump, you can’t guarantee it will last any longer. When a pump goes out it is always an emergency. If you have neighbors close enough, you can run a garden hose from one of your faucets to one of theirs, and you will have water until you can get the pump fixed. It is always good to have discussed this with the neighbor beforehand. I even keep a couple of hoses and a female to female hose connector hanging in a common area where either of us can get to it. This keeps you from having to get the pump fixed the same day it goes out. This is safer than having a new pump, which could still go out tomorrow, or New Years day.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Bought my home 3 years ago (1992 yr built -so well is that old). I don't want the pump to go out and it's an emergency so I was thinking of having pump replaced.

Should I even replace it or just let it go till it quits? I hate emergency situations cause then you can be behind the 8 ball.
If you don't have any idea of how old the pump is, or can't find out, I'd let it quit on it's own as long as you know where the well is and the well is accessible; meaning not buried "out there somewhere". If you have the casing sticking up out of the ground, remove the cap and see if there is some info written on the underside.

Otherwise if you want a project now, and have the money, see if you and a buddy or two can replace it yourself.

Rutherfordman

DIY Member
Reaction score
Just one note on running from a hose spigot to another. Many of the newer hose spigots on houses have a backflow preventer which will not allow water to be pumped into the house. Mine is this way. If like mine the backflow preventer (vacuum breaker) is part of the spigot instead of the threaded on type (older) you can run a hose to the washer box cold water connection. Many of these do not have built in backflow preventers. I am fortunate in that I have a valve box at my driveway to serve another property from a community well which is a different well system than mine. We have back fed each other in times of need so this has really come in handy:D

mudpuppy

Reaction score
If your well was drilled by a licensed contractor, you should be able to get well completion information from your regional water management district if you are north of Lee County/ Ft. Myers.
If in Lee, Manatee or Sarasota county, you might be able to get it from the county.
Charlotte Co to Citrus Co. - SWFWMD - 800 423 1476
Levy Co to Jefferson Co - SRWMD - 800 226 1066

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks