Pump damage vs. pump saver

Users who are viewing this thread

psteus

Reaction score
I just put in a well in dry Southern California. I need all the water I can get from it to keep my landscaping alive. With careful study and programming of my valve controller, I am barely meeting my needs in the 100 degree heat we've been having. Since every minute counts, and there is overhead in filling the irrigation pipes, I have been running the valves such that the cycle finishes but the pump saver trips toward the end of refilling the pressure tank.

Is this harmful to my pump? Should I not push the system so far?

Thanks.
Pat.

psteus

Reaction score
What is it tripping on, undercurrent, dry run, etc.?
I don't know how to tell whether it is undercurrent or dry run. I just suspect I ran out of stack and pump vacuum is broken. If I cut my valve times down, I can prevent it, but I lose a precious minute of sprinkler time. Of course, I don't want to damage the pump so I'll cut back if it is important.

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It may help to start some of your valves at a later time,like in program B.This would give your hole time to rest before you pump it again.Upper

psteus

Reaction score
What is it tripping on, undercurrent, dry run, etc.?

I cut back on the run time for my valves and spaced apart the run times. I watched the behavior carefully for several valve cycles, and I think what is happening is that I have plenty of water, but when the pump turns off, presumably because the tank's pressure switch tells it to, the pump saver trips.

Could this be a problem with the pump saver sensitivity setting? Is my 1 month old pump getting flaky on me?

psteus

Reaction score
Try adjusting the sensitivity. It is probably not the pump but the pump saver that is flakey.

I think everything is fine now. Previously I was getting the dry well signal from the LEDs (run light blinking) after more than half of the valve cycles.

I set the sensitivity to 10 o/clock, did the Cal procedure, and verified that the pump saver trips on a dry well condition by running it dry one time. Since then I have had no tripping at the end of good valve runs. I am guessing that after the pump got ‘broken in’ things changed with the calibration or the sensitivity and that nothing bad is going on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks