Wet Venting, Plumber Made Mistake, Opinions

Users who are viewing this thread

Arejayesss

Reaction score
Hello all,

As you can can see this is my first post on this forum. I have lurked like others do for a while. I was really hoping to just read others problems and not have to post about my own. But, alas, I have a doozy (I think) I have found out from a plumbing expert that there are issues with the way my DWV lines were setup in our new master bath remodel. I hired a professional to ensure it would be done correctly. Enough talking though, let me post a few pics so you can see what I'm dealing with.
DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

I was hoping to get some second opinions if possible. Any advice on how to pursue this situation would be great. PS the inspector signed off on this, and it has since been covered with concrete and framed walls. Luckily we haven't finished the bathroom yet.
Thanks in advance

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I agree with C NUMB, it generally looks fine to me...unless you don't plan on continuing up the vent stack up for that lav sink, and I hope you don't plan on discharging anything into that 3" line from above other than a sink.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The only thing that I see in the 1st pic, is that your floor drains are not vented properly. The same issue that dunbar plumbing is suggesting

Otherwise it would be fine

Arejayesss

Reaction score
Whats wrong with it?? Looks alright to me.

Is there a lav on each of those stacks??
The 2" stack has a lav. The 3" has a washing machine discharge(other side of that wet wall, you can see the outlines on the bottom right for W and D)

I agree with C NUMB, it generally looks fine to me...unless you don't plan on continuing up the vent stack up for that lav sink, and I hope you don't plan on discharging anything into that 3" line from above other than a sink.
Thats part of the problem. I was actually informed that 1. On the bathroom group, only bathroom fixtures can be used (Which now makes sense to me) Washing machine cannot be put into that 3" stack. 2. The shower drain (First picture, left foreground) does not connect above the 3" elbow to wash it out. These are things I am now learning about. I will have to contact the plumber in the morning and have a little discussion. Both of these issues are code violations that the inspector also missed. I was referred to the code 909.1 and also Florida Residential Code P3108 which both basically say the same thing. Either way, I might be out of luck. I will try to get it rectified. Thanks for your input. Time and time again, I have found this forum to answer all my questions and then some. I really do appreciate your efforts and I have a new found respect for you guys:)

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
In Florida, the only problem you have is the washing machine as part of your wet vent. I still haven't heard the reasoning behind that part of the code to where it would make sense, it'll work fine and in fact a couple of codes back you would be OK.

If your inspector signed off and the concrete is in I wouldn't sweat about anything you have there.

Where are you located? I'm in the Cape and work in Ft Myers.

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
The 2" stack has a lav. The 3" has a washing machine discharge(other side of that wet wall, you can see the outlines on the bottom right for W and D)

Thats part of the problem. I was actually informed that 1. On the bathroom group, only bathroom fixtures can be used (Which now makes sense to me) Washing machine cannot be put into that 3" stack. 2. The shower drain (First picture, left foreground) does not connect above the 3" elbow to wash it out. These are things I am now learning about. I will have to contact the plumber in the morning and have a little discussion. Both of these issues are code violations that the inspector also missed. I was referred to the code 909.1 and also Florida Residential Code P3108 which both basically say the same thing. Either way, I might be out of luck. I will try to get it rectified. Thanks for your input. Time and time again, I have found this forum to answer all my questions and then some. I really do appreciate your efforts and I have a new found respect for you guys:)

It's an easy fix and a little more concrete cutting. I would not have the wm dumping past the shower and tub. Just to the north of you it would not pass.

All they need to do is cut in a 3" wye before the 45 turn to the combo for the tub. Install a new 3" line towards the block exterior wall and run around the tub waste, cut the concrete towards the wm and install the new 3" line between the washer and dryer. Then remove the 3x2 combo to the shower and the 3" 90, bring the 3" line towards the wall, install 2 3"45's and a 3x2 combo center of wall(2" vent in the wall) with a 3x2 bushing in the head of the combo and a 2" 45 back towards the shower.

Dunbar, here in Florida a bath group like that can be picked up on one wet vent.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dwv

The washer draining past the shower and tub drains can be a problem, but your salvation may be that since it is a 3" pipe the water velocity may not create problems. You either had a lenient inspector or a pemissive code.

Arejayesss

Reaction score
The washer draining past the shower and tub drains can be a problem, but your salvation may be that since it is a 3" pipe the water velocity may not create problems. You either had a lenient inspector or a pemissive code.
Yes, the 3" does help, but still a no go. Unfortunately the inspector missed it, he didn't check for slope or anything. He just came and shook the stack with water in it and kinda glanced around. I just hope that they are willing to fix it.

Florida Orange:
I'm in Bonita, Work in Naples

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
it will work fine

as HJ stated it will work fine, you are worrying about nothing,
being a 3 inch drain it has to work,,

if the inspector passed it, then the plumber isnt going to tear
up that place to please you

looks ok for indiana

Arejayesss

Reaction score
I wish I could just let it go. My understanding is that when water from the washing machine drains past the other lines it will suck the p traps dry. This will in turn allow methane up through those drains, along with laundry suds. Am I completely wrong?:confused: I really just want it to work properly and not be a health and safety hazard to us when we move in.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
It's doubtful that you would have the traps siphoned on a 3" line. If you really want to have the work redone by the plumber, technically his wetvent does not meet current code, the installation did meet code from a from about 8 years back.

Arejayesss

Reaction score
Trust me, the last thing I want to do is stir up trouble. I don't want the plumbers and the inspectors ticked off at me. At the same time, I am sick of people not doing their job properly. Being a professional and charging a professionals fee is warranted for professional work rendered. I have paid good monies to the plumbers and the City of Bonita Springs to issue a permit and inspect said permit. [:<END RANT>:]

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
be sure the pitch is good as this may be one of the more important things for your situation...bellies are the last thing you want... also I would have a clean out or 2 installed if possible...

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Trust me, the last thing I want to do is stir up trouble. I don't want the plumbers and the inspectors ticked off at me. At the same time, I am sick of people not doing their job properly. Being a professional and charging a professionals fee is warranted for professional work rendered. I have paid good monies to the plumbers and the City of Bonita Springs to issue a permit and inspect said permit. [:<END RANT>:]

It's suprising to me that Bonita passed it, they are a PIA on my end for commercial work anyway. The wrong part as stated above is you have bathroom and non-bathroom fixtures as part of a wet vent.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
that is wrong

I wish I could just let it go. My understanding is that when water from the washing machine drains past the other lines it will suck the p traps dry. This will in turn allow methane up through those drains, along with laundry suds. Am I completely wrong?:confused: I really just want it to work properly and not be a health and safety hazard to us when we move in.

if you had only a 2 inch drain in that floor, then yes ,
their could be the possiblilty of the laundry totally
filling up the drain line and siphoning the traps......

you have a 3 inch drain, the hose comming off the laundry is actually
only 1 1/4 inch dumping into a two inch trap then dumping into a 3 inch drain...

a 1 1/4 drain cannot flood out a horizontal 3 inch drain.

it is impossible for this to happen.......

it CANNOT HAPPEN

if you are still really worried about this,,,
why dont you compromise with the plumber and simply ask him to install
some deeper traps in the tub and shower boxes...just
re- make them out of 2 inch elbows and nipples to make. deeper traps???

that is something I have done when I had no other recourse.
and had a situation I was concerned about......

(of course that is what a hack like me would do):D

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
be sure the pitch is good as this may be one of the more important things for your situation...bellies are the last thing you want... also I would have a clean out or 2 installed if possible...

Cass, can you explain what you mean by bellie? are they low spots?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks