(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glacier Bay Glacier Bay Dual Flush HET AIO Toilet

Default It is has been over THREE YEARS ...

...since the last post ...any news on the quality of these units ? ... I have TWO OF THEM waiting in the second bedroom of a condo here in FL ....should I or shouldn't I put these in ...or just take them back ......

It was kind of told to me that the earlier units did NOT have the smooth glazing on the inside of the trap ..... Yes? ....THX, Eric

I'm not sure if this was the correct place to post my comment/question, or whether I should have started a new thread. I was in Home Depot looking for raised seat toilets when I saw the Glacier Bay dual flush (no model name), sku #468 213 in biscuit, price $158 with a lifetime warranty. I actually prefer bone, because that is the color of my present bathroom and toilet, but I saw this one and thought the price was acceptable. Due to neck surgery and a subsequent stroke, I have recently become disabled, (I can't drive or work), and even though I am able to walk with the use of a cane, I need a toilet that is ADA certified, (or compliant) because of my knees. Since I am not working, I am on a strict budget, hence the comment on the price being "acceptable", but I wanted to research this toilet before I bought it. I'm glad I did, because even with a lifetime warranty, I only want to remove and install a toilet once. I will be doing it myself, (hopefully), since I've had it out before to repair the flange ring(?) and I can't afford to purchase a toilet plus pay the labor to install it. What I would like to know, are there any toilets that are relatively inexpensive, (I don't like the word cheap), that are ADA compliant that you would recommend buying? I researched what makes a toilet ADA compliant, and it stated a bowl height of 17" to 19". So why do some toilets with a bowl height of 16.5 inches qualify as ADA compliant, while others do not? It makes an already difficult decision even more difficult. Any assistance you could provide me would help. Thank you.
    Last edited by David1959; 07-08-2013 at 09:45 AM. Reason: grammar corrections

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ADA compliant, and it stated a bowl height of 17" to 19"
    That is measured to the top of the seat.
    When you add a seat to a 16-1/2 bowl, it adds about 1-1/4"

Sorry It took so long to get back. I understand the bowl height of a toilet at 16.5", plus the 1.25" seat add up to 17.25" which would make it ADA compliant, but I don't understand why some toilets that have a bowl height of 16.5" are ADA compliant, while another toilet with a bowl height of the same 16.5" is not. I've looked on the internet, in stores, and I keep seeing the same thing, and it doesn't matter if the toilets come with seats or not. I've even measured TWO toilets at the same store that had BOWL heights of 16.5", one was ADA compliant, and the other was not. It stated it in the specifications on the boxes that one was ADA compliant, while the other stated it was not. I guess it doesn't matter, 16.5" is 16.5" no matter how you look at it, but when I search "ADA compliant toilets" on the internet, I am sure that I am missing some toilets because of this discrepancy. Any suggestions on what is a good toilet to get that will also offer a choice in bone. Thanks
    Last edited by David1959; 09-10-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

There's more to being ADA compliant than just the seat height...it needs to be elongated, and the flush lever must be on the side furthest from the wall so the person can reach it without having to reach over the toilet. Many toilets would meet the requirements if they had a 'handed' tank. Most only come with it on one side, so there's only a 50% chance it could meet the requirements, so technically, it's not listed as ADA-compliant. There may be other things, but I haven't looked recently, and do not remember if there are.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Toto Drake CST744EL. The Original Drake in ADA Height. Comes in Bone (color #3). It also is coming out with a new-look tank on the same base for about $50 more. Otherwise works the same. The new tank also comes in bone. That would be CST744ELN. N for New Tank. The "N" tank is pretty-available in Cotton White at this point, but might take a week or so to get one in bone. Here's a link to the picture of the toilet with the OLD TANK and the NEW TANK. The street price of the toilet with the old tank is about $260-ish in the ADA Height.