attack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Last night while on the internet, I got that window that popped up, saying my computer was under attack , need to fix it right now, and the link they wanted you to click was a dot exe. My wife was using the computer at the time, and fortunately was smart enought to NOT touch anything, and called me. It all looked EXTREMELY official. Worst part was you could not cancel. If you chose the cancel option, or clicked on the "x" it just came back up. I did use task manager to stop it, although even then it was persistent X3. I then ran a virus scan with Kaspersky, and rebooted the computer. So far, all is well.

MY QUESTION: How does this get past AV in the first place? And is there any danger that something has been planted, even though I seem to be operating normally at the moment?

Cookie

Reaction score
Jim, that was fake, and they want you to click it, that is where the virus is at. It gets past your virus detector, because it is a pop up. Don't click it.

Macman

Reaction score
Cookie is exactly right. The malware wasn't in the popup, but if you had given it permission to install, then the problems would have started. You and your wife done good.

Cookie

Reaction score
Yep, that is why it is hard to close down, it wants you to click it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks