Replacing Valley Cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

ucfmike

Reaction score
I just wanted to replace bath tub handles so the place was nice for the new renters. A series of impatient moves on my part and I'm now trying to figure out how to replace the cartridge.

The valley faucets are in a townhome built in 2000. When attempting to replace the handle's I broke the stems. I then purchased this cartridge:
http://www.**************.com/images/valleystems8.jpg

The stem part matches perfectly to the one I broke, but when pulling out the cartridge, I broke the bottom part of that picutre. Now I'm wondering after further examination if I don't have this cartridge:
http://www.**************.com/images/valleystems7.jpg

in either case, I have half the cartridge out, the stem part, how do I get the rest of the cartridge out?

thanks early for the help.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
websites such as the famous auction site, hd dot, etc, are of necessity filtered out on this forum.

I am surprised you have valley, because I thought they were out of business way before the year 2000. Any, the availability of cartridges and handles is limited, and dwindling each year. I would consider opening the wall from the back side and changing the whole valve.

ucfmike

Reaction score
I'm assuming valley, because that's what the face plate said, and the cartridge does match.

Opening up the wall and replacing the entire valve is more than I would like to spend right now.

I've read other posts in this forum, and it sounds like the cartridge just pulls out.

If that's the case, how does it stay in.

I'm having a hard time pulling this one out, and I don't want to break anything else, so I'm just now being cautious.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valley

WE need a picture to see what you have and what damage you may have done to it. Most Valley's are repaired by removing a locknut and pulling the stem or cartridge out of the body. It is pretty difficult to screw them up while doing it, but I suppose it could be done.

ucfmike

Reaction score
Here is the picture of the cartridge that is still in the pipe. The tab on the bottom is broken.

IMG_0306.JPG

Should that part pull out?

Here is replacement part

IMG_0315.JPG

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks