Replacing Vacuum Pressure Breaker

Users who are viewing this thread

vaman

Reaction score
Am making progress with replacing vacuum pressure breaker. I have not yet glued the pvc pipe coming out of the breaker;wanted to make sure there were no leaks first.
Well I discovered that the male fitting going into the intake valve is not tight enough. I thought I had it and this being my first time using pvc am not sure how much force these things can take.
Anyway it looks like it can handle another 1/4 turn but then the breaker will not line up with the outflow fitting. Can I simply use more teflon tape for a tighter fit? Otherwise I need to start over since I determined if I saw off the intake valve fitting there is just not enough room to glue in another fitting(whatever you call a fitting to connect two straight pieces of pipe) Advice is appreciated. BTW I will not call a pro as I'm too close to finishing this thing abut am not close enough!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Plastic threaded fittings should be assembled hand tight as far as it wll go, then about 1/2 to one turn by wrench. Further tightening will usually damage the threads and prevent a seal.

Two wraps of teflon tape, add some teflon paste if you wish, that's enough. While you can use more tape on metal fittings, on plastic this usually causes problems.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pvc

1. Your first mistake may be using PVC INTO the valve. I never do that because it is very easy to snap it off. At least if you have copper into the valve, the PVB can be shut off using one of its valves, when the outlet PVC breaks.

2. You use Teflon tape and screw the valve on as far as it will go, not as tight as you think it has to be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks