is it okay to have tub faucet on exterior wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nola70115

Reaction score
Hi there -

I'm repairing a bathroom and trying to keep the original tile walls. I'd like to reuse the old cast iron tub, which is in good shape. I've been told (by someone who is not a plumber) that it is not a good idea to do so because the tub faucet is located on an exterior wall, and it would be too difficult to make repairs later on if the faucet is not on an interior wall.

All of the plumbing has to be reinstalled because the old lines were removed when the house's foundation was replaced. The wall is currently open below the top of the tub, because it is a 3-wall alcove style tub. I am thinking of using the kind of antique-style faucet that is mounted on the inside of the tub, so we don't have to get into the wall above the top of the tub.

If I can reuse the old (right-hand) tub, I don't have the spend the money for a new one. If I really can't put a faucet on an exterior wall, I'll have to get a left-hand tub that won't be as nice as the antique I've got.

Thanks for any advice!!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
As far as the longevity of the faucet, we would always recommend a national brand with an good repair and parts availability reputation. Given that, the valve should last until the next remodel ( 20+ years).

The issue of pipes in the outside wall is regarding frozen pipes, if you are in a cold climate.

Reaction score
One would need to be able to get some decent insulation between the exterior wall and the fixture for a cold climate. I'm thinking some extruded polystyrene (XPS) in an appropriate thickness to fit the narrow space might provide a pretty good thermal barrier to prevent the pipe/fixture from freezing. It is moisture resistant.

Assuming that the OP is in zip code 70115, New Orleans, LA, I doubt freezing in the wall is an issue, but I would still want some insulation between the exterior and the plumbing.

I'm not a plumber though...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks