Trouble with Nipples

Users who are viewing this thread

advertguy2

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my nipple situation sorted out for the spout of my tub shower combo.

I've measured from the front face of the wing back 90 in the wall and came up with 2-11/16". Now I assume that 1/2" of nipple should go into the wing back 90. The spout I have is a Kohler and the specs say to have 7/16" of nipple sticking out of the wall. Add all this up and I get 3-5/8".

I can only seem to find brass nipple lenghts that are even number of inches (2, 3, 4, 5 etc...). I found one that has one end threaded for the wing back 90 then a couple inches unthreaded then 3 or so inches threaded which I assumed could be cut to the appropriate length. Well, I tried screwing the long end that I thought should be cut into either the wing back 90 or the spout I have and I only make it in like 1 or 2 threads. Apparently the fittings have tapered threads and this pipe isn't tapered? Is that the problem?

So, if it is, how would I go about solving this problem I'm having? There must be something I'm missing.

I found a 3.5" nipple but it's black steel which I assume isn't good for water. Am I right about that? Also don't want rust in the tub.

If I can find a 3.5" brass nipple, could I use that and just apply more teflon tape or something to the pipe and not screw it in as far?

There must be a simple solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 400

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any of the Plumbing shops in town should have a 3-1/2" brass or galvanized nipple. You might want to figure a little less than 1/2" going into the threads. You don't want to over-tighten that brass fitting in the wall. Usually around 3/8" is good with brass.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
And yes, adjusting the amount of Teflon used will alter the depth.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you're determined to shop in the orange box, pick up a 5" brass nipple and have them cut and thread to your exact spec. Forget galv.

Good luck with that. Around here, most of the stores do have a nipple jig for their threader. Good luck (a) there might be one guy in the plumbing section who even knows where it is (b) he has probably never used it.

advertguy2

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm just outside Toronto, Canada but thanks for the offer! I'll try to find a 3.5" and make that work.

Dan

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Try a wholesaler

Desco Supplies 416-213-1555
Wolseley 905-879-0034

Depending on what area you are in they should have stock or one of thier branches and they will sell COD.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks