Water Testing

Users who are viewing this thread

FoxHome01

Reaction score
Although I've had my water tested a couple of times, I think I need a more in depth type of test. When we first started having issues with black specs the plubmer took it to a local place and they said we had high levels of iron. Had someone come to the house as we were considering some type of filtrations system and he used an in-house test kit that just gave some basic information and was only able to tell us that our iron levels were fine. Go figure! We then had the City test the water and they said that everything was within normal limits but were unable to ID the black specs (they thought for sure it would be rubber).

So, I think I need a serious lab technician at this point. Any recommendations of the type of professional I'd be looking for to do this? Who can test the water as well as try to figure out what these black specs are?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Someone that comes out to the house to test isn't going to lie to you that there isn't something in the water when there is. His test kit is as good as any and better than dip strip tests.

And the plumber's outfit could have mixed up samples or records.

Black specs are usually rubber from SS braided hoses etc. that deteriorates due to chlorine and chloramines or, IRB (iron reducing bacteria, which can cause fluctuating iron levels), manganese, H2S (hydrogen sulfide gas) or galvanized pipe or nipples. Do you have an odor in the hot, cold or both? If so of what?

FoxHome01

Reaction score
Someone that comes out to the house to test isn't going to lie to you that there isn't something in the water when there is. His test kit is as good as any and better than dip strip tests.

And the plumber's outfit could have mixed up samples or records.

Black specs are usually rubber from SS braided hoses etc. that deteriorates due to chlorine and chloramines or, IRB (iron reducing bacteria, which can cause fluctuating iron levels), manganese, H2S (hydrogen sulfide gas) or galvanized pipe or nipples. Do you have an odor in the hot, cold or both? If so of what?

No there isn't an odor (at least from what we can tell). I understand that manganese is primarily a result of well related set-ups. We are on city. Although we will check this weekend, I don't think we have braided hoses attached to the water heater. We think it's all copper lines.

I don't know enough about galvanized pipes. Is there a resource for that?

As for nipples, what are these and where would they be located?

Thanks for your input and assistance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks