Is this shower plumbing too involved to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

reybo

Reaction score
Website
www.freewarehof.org
This 1952 house with still nice tile showers and real plaster walls could do with a modern mixer valve in the shower in place of the old hot/cold valves it has now.

oldvalve.jpg

I can get a couple of smitty plates to cover the old holes in the tile. The problem is the plumbing behind the tile. Threaded steel pipes and some bronze fittings. Can I change that to a mixer valve without tearing up the plaster and the tile?

backvalv.jpg

The new plastic lines and valves went in last year, and we left the wall open for the project we're facing now.

Appreciate your comments.

reybo in Virginia

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The valve is attached with union nuts, so you can get it out without too much trouble. A new valve can be installed coming off the ball valves you have with male threaded adapters to whatever tubing type you wish to use...copper, pex.

reybo

Reaction score
Website
www.freewarehof.org
Separating the vertical pipe to the shower head from the horizontal

The subject combined with the pic tells my problem. The only thing easily detached is the new valves & lines. How do I get the T unscrewed from the vertical steel pipe to the shower head without tearing out the wall? That T is 1/2" from the plaster. There's no turning it.

Copper or plastic pipes and there''d be no problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks