Did I ruin the water heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cturner987

Reaction score
There is a new electric water heater and we were inspecting it to see if it worked. we turned on the breaker for the water heater and heard the heating element turn on. It was on for about 10-15 min. before we realized the tank had been drained. Did we ruin the heating element by having it on empty?::eek:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Yes you did. The upper element is fried but the lower should be OK.
John

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Did the smoke get out?!

A local motor shop here has a sign letting everyone know all electric devices actually operate on pre-charged smoke ... and that they no longer work if the smoke ever gets out!

I would have both elements pulled and inspected.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
The element should read 12 Ω.
If you put it in series with 120vac and a 120vac incand. lamp, the lamp should light.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Did the smoke get out?!

A local motor shop here has a sign letting everyone know all electric devices actually operate on pre-charged smoke ... and that they no longer work if the smoke ever gets out!

I would have both elements pulled and inspected.

I had a dishwasher let its smoke out yesterday, thanks to handyman connection.

That top element will be tough to remove as it most likely wilted and will come out shaped like a banana.

Damn K-fed (brittany's bf) startin' to look like me! I knew I was starting a trend!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Afraid you violated rule #1 about installing water heaters. Never, never, never turn the heat source on before the tank is filled. True with gas heaters as well as electric. Fortunately, the damage is likely repairable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks