Building an entire shower in a bump out..

Users who are viewing this thread

nick611

Reaction score
I have a very small 63x85" bath off my master bedroom which includes a 32x32" shower which is almost impossible to use.

This house is in Southern NM and was built on a monolithic slab with integral perimeter foundation 30 years ago. the current vanity is along the outside South wall and the sink's 1-1/2"vent stack (PVC) appears to run up that wall directly above the sink.

I am merely in the thinking stage (feasibility investigation) as to whether I could build a bump out to contain a new shower's entire footprint. The shower door would be along where the outside wall with the vent stack is now. Then I would relocate the vanity to where the tiny shower is now. ( I am assuming the could be easily done as far as drain piping.

I'm not familiar with how underslab plumbing is/was constructed and whether I could connect the drain into what is there and vent it properly.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Nick

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think it is feasible, but there are building codes, electrical codes, and plumbing codes that have to be considered. Many of these things must be decided on site, so I think the first step would be to hire either a building contractor to evaluate your general idea and make specific suggestions on what can or can not be done as well as how deep your pockets will have to be. I do not see this as a wise DIY project.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks