Replacing Vacuum Pressure Breaker -PVC Glue Drying Time

Users who are viewing this thread

vaman

Reaction score
Hi.I'm the one with the broken Wilkins Vacuum pressure breaker. I have a new unit and pvc pipe and various fittings. This is my first time working with PVC pipe.How long do I need to let the primer and cement dry before turn on the water to the system?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Primer dries very rapidly, but I agree that at least 30 minutes on the solvent welds is wise. Not only before you turn water into it, but before you move or twist the joint.

onedrop

Reaction score
The glue we most commonly use does not use primer, but the directions say that you can pressure test after an hour and full strength is reached at 24 hours depending on temperature and humidity.

Here are some instructions taken from this page: http://www.sprinkler.com/info/install_manual
Gluing Pipe and Fittings
Make sure all surfaces that are to be glued are clean and dry. Apply Primer to both surfaces thoroughly and evenly. Generously apply glue to both surfaces, quickly pushing them together while twisting (about a quarter of a turn.) The glue will dry in a few seconds, but will not reach its full strength for about 24 hours.

I always wait 24 hours on any main line (line that always has pressure), but a half hour is fine for lateral lines (only have pressure when the valve is on).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks