(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Toto ADA/upstairs downstairs questions

Default Toto ADA/upstairs downstairs questions

We're replacing our downstairs toilet with an ADA model, and we've decided on a Toto. I'm having difficulty deciding between the Drake and the Eco Drake and the UltraMax. It seems the Drakes have a higher MaP score, so I'm leaning toward them. Is the only difference between the Drakes the gallons per flush? We're so tired of plunging our old American Standard. Is the flush technology for all of these fine for a downstairs bathroom? This is the bathroom that gets used the most. At least 1 day every month 30 people are using this bathroom. We don't get a rebate for high efficiency toilets; however we're concerned about water conservation. Can you help me sort through this decision process? Also, our plumber has repeatedly told me that he does not recommend the sanagloss finish--he says it doesn't make a difference. We are on a well, so I'm thinking it might. Any other Totos we should consider?
    thanks!

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Sanagloss does make a difference.
    I recommend them to people on wells.

I've sold over a thousand of the Sanagloss Toto toilets.
    And have both Sanagloss and non Sanagloss in the home.

The Drake, because the tank is higher, generally gets a higher MaP score,
    however in real life, it hardly matters.
    The one-piece Ultramax has some advantages in keeping it cleaner, and there is less to go wrong.
    But either would be fine.

I think the 1.6 is fine,
    With the 1.28, they work, and if you want more water, you can hold the handle down a bit.

Default Further question

Thanks, Terry.
    It looks like only the Toto Drake II ADA is my only choice with sanagloss. Is double cyclone fine for a downstairs? The UltraMax choice looks good, but it is way over our budget. I guess I'm hung up on the MaP scores because of all the plunging we've been doing. Anything else you can add to help with our decision?

Blog Entries

The Drake II will be fine for downstairs.

Any map score over 500 is overkill.
    I had an Ultimate elongated for two years in a high use situation, one plug in two years with a MaP of 325 grams.

Average usage is 250 grams

Watersense will give it's label at 350 grams.

The ADA Ultramax can be ordered with Sanagloss.
    I've been getting some.

Hi Terry,

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    ... and if you want more water, you can hold the handle down a bit.
    What is the purpose of holding down the handle?

It definitely puts additional water down into the bowl (which may rinse the bowl a bit more), but the final level should pretty much be the same height as the water trap. Or does the suction of the flush pull out more water than the maximum water the trap can hold after a flush and thus you are refilling to it's maximum height?

I can't imagine holding the handle down increasing the power of the flush itself by any real amount, thus it would be a useless waste of water.

Can you explain the purpose and the benefit (if any)?

Regards,

Ira

Ira, the only benefit is providing a little more water to wash the affluent away. This will rarely, if ever, be needed. The real advantage of having extra water in the tank is the extra height provides a bit more pressure to the flush. An ADA height toilet also provide a little boost of pressure. Are these important features? Probably not very. I have an ADA height Dartmouth and in almost 2 years have never needed that extra water. I have never needed to double flush either. The trap design and size is what makes Toto toilet work so well. When I buy another toilet for my basement, it will be a Drake ADA with Sanigloss.

Blog Entries

I can't imagine holding the handle down increasing the power of the flush itself by any real amount, thus it would be a useless waste of water.
    Holding the handle down, creates more wash and more flush power.
    It's pretty impressive.