(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 15 year old Fridge, repair or replace?

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The proper place for old toilets is to be ground up for new roads.

With the shortage of water that is usable, it only makes sense to get rid of the old stuff.

That is why water utilities are giving rebates now to preserve what little water they have left.

Last edited by Terry; 08-26-2009 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Runs with bison View Post
    No, not really. They bottle them up pretty tight anymore. Your priorities are reversed on this one. You will waste far more resources to keep some piece of junk. Take that ancient furnace for example. I'll bet it wasted at least 100 ccF of nat. gas a year, perhaps several times that. You could probably recycle the metal in it with the energy it wasted in just a year or two.

This reminds me of the folks screaming about the mercury in CFL's...when each one reduces the mercury emissions from coal fired electricity more than the mercury within the bulb. That's without even considering other toxins from electricity generation, let alone the CO2.

I'm not a fan of landfills and think we could do a lot better at reducing waste volume. However, refrigerators, old furnaces, dead water heaters, and toilets are not the sources of the "toxins" you are worried about it. Plus landfills are designed and operated to actually hold the toxins.
    I got a house listed one mile from a dump, let me know if you are interested. It has been on the market for 4 years, nice house, too.

Don't forget the energy it took to make the appliance you're buying new. It takes a lot of energy to mine the ore, produce the steel, fabricate it, ship it around, etc.

Getting rid of useful equimpment that provides no other benefit other than energy efficiency is for the most part a net energy, and money, loss for a long time.

DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwilson View Post
    Don't forget the energy it took to make the appliance you're buying new.
    I'm not forgetting it at all. In fact, when you buy something you are paying for that energy. That's why working through the economics is a decent way to evaluate it. Energy is only one part of the cost so if the economic benefits exceed that you can rest assured that the energy balance is heavily in favor of replacement.

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulsiu View Post
    Is it worth hiring a repair man to fix a 15 year old fridge or should one just buy a new one.

Paul
    We went from an 18 cu ft to a 26 cu ft
    The new one uses 10% LESS then the old one was rated for when it was new 14 years ago
    We kept the old one for pool parties

I do not put $$ into old appliances
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house