(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Well located under house.

Hybrid View

Question Well located under house.

I would like to upgrade my 1/2 hp convertible jet pump in the near future. According to all documentation that I have and what I can see in the basement, the well seems to be located under the house. The house was built in 1971 and the well driller is now out of business. I talked to my neighbor who has lived here for years and he says that the wells in our development were drilled and the houses built over the top of them. As I understand it, I will need to replace components inside the well when the jet pump is replaced. All that can be seen from the basement is the two plastic lines going from the pump through a rough opening in the basement slab. I have no idea how far down the top of the well is. My plan is to bust up some concrete around the opening and dig down to find the top of the well. My questions are: How far down would the well typically be in this situation? Do I need to extend the well casing above the slab, if so what is involved? I am located in Andover, MN.

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deuce6911 View Post
    All that can be seen from the basement is the two plastic lines going from the pump through a rough opening in the basement slab. I have no idea how far down the top of the well is. My plan is to bust up some concrete around the opening and dig down to find the top of the well.
    How large is that "rough opening"? If you can see dirt, I would think you should be able to get to whatever might need to be serviced.

The pump guys here might be able to tell you whether an "upgrade" for a well that is almost 40 years old is actually feasible, but I suspect you might be best off with a new well and submersible pump outside the house.

The opening is only about 3.5" in diameter, just big enough for the two pipes to pass through. What would be wrong with the well that would make me better off with a new well?

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

The opening is only about 3.5" in diameter, just big enough for the two pipes to pass through. What would be wrong with the well that would make me better off with a new well?
    The well might be fine as it is, but it might not produce enough water for a larger pump intended to meet a greater demand. Or, it might not pass inspection (being inside) if you ever wish to sell your home. But, those are just some thoughts from a DIY homeowner.

The well case and cap by code need to extend above grade whatever that may be. In your case, the basement floor.

We have only lived in the house for 3 years. When we bought the house there were no issues with the well not meeting code. Does this requirement only apply if the well is worked on? i.e. If we do decide to have work done to the well would it then need to meet current codes?

I would like to upgrade my 1/2 hp convertible jet pump in the near future. According to all documentation that I have and what I can see in the basement, the well seems to be located under the house. The house was built in 1971 and the well driller is now out of business. I talked to my neighbor who has lived here for years and he says that the wells in our development were drilled and the houses built over the top of them. As I understand it, I will need to replace components inside the well when the jet pump is replaced. All that can be seen from the basement is the two plastic lines going from the pump through a rough opening in the basement slab. I have no idea how far down the top of the well is. My plan is to bust up some concrete around the opening and dig down to find the top of the well. My questions are: How far down would the well typically be in this situation? Do I need to extend the well casing above the slab, if so what is involved? I am located in Andover, MN.
    1st, though it would be nice to extend the case above the steps, it would be a pain in the you know what considering the times that you may have to access it.

2nd If you know the make/model of the pump, you should be able to get a pretty good match for the jet that is in the well.

3rd The set up is working now so why make work for yourself.

Now that you know where things are, relax. Even if it craps out in January it won't be much more difficult to service it then.

I'm thinking it would be possible to extend the casing to about 10" to 12" above grade. Then replace the cement step with a small deck using 2 x 10 joists. Could be made to look nice. Then the well head could be between the joists and could be accessed by removing a couple deck boards. But yes, now that I am almost positive I know where this thing is I have a couple other projects to get done first.