Clogged Bathroom Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Dahli.Llama

Reaction score
Hello.

My bathroom sink has been plugged for a few weeks now, and I've been trying everything. I'd rather not hire a professional, but it may come to that.

The sink is pretty much completely plugged, and only has a very, very slow drain. The toilet and the shower drain fine, though there is a bit of a gurgle when the toilet is flushed. I've tried plunging the sink, but when I do, nothing goes down and all I get is some black, charcoal-like gunk in the water that is pulled up by the plunger. I've pulled the trap and run a snake through the drain, and I can make it about 10 feet or so before it won't go any further and I never get anything back with the snake.

From what I can tell, the drain from the sink runs into the vent stack for the toilet. The sink sits about 3 feet from the toilet. The toilet drain and the vent is all cast iron, and the sink drain looks like it is cast iron as well once it enters the wall.

Any suggestions on this? Could there be a blockage in the vent stack that would cause this kind of issue? Would using a hose to blast out the blockage from the sink side work? Or is there something else I should try first?

Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As I see it, you can continue to try to clear the drain yourself for who know how long much less if you will have success or you can pay a professional to do a professional job and get the drain cleared. I would commend you for not pouring caustic chemicals into the drain. They don't work, are harmful to you drain, and can create a hazard for anyone working on the drain later. You need to face the fact that not all problems can be solved with DIY methods and equipment.

Dave36

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would recommend snaking the sink manually, stop with the plunging, if it has not work thus far it is not going to work. It is probably just packing the blockage tighter.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Forget the vinegar and baking soda, or any other chemical combination.

First thing to check is remove the stopper...that area right there is the common culprit, and it can be so clogged with hair and gunk that the sink won't drain at all. Next is to remove the trap under the sink. That is the next most likely culprit. If you don't find trouble yet, now you have to run a snake into the wall pipe.\

It gets a little messy when you start taking things apart under the sink, so get a large pan and a lot of old newspapers ready.

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
Jimbo is correct about starting with the stopper. We have a lady that lives with us and she uses some kind of oatmeal soap that is constantly slowing my sink drain. I call it girl goo!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks